Feb 21, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
He had a herniated disc in his back and part of it was removed. He might be out for eight weeks as a result, but that timetable isn’t set stone. What is clear is that the Red Wings’ task of hanging onto the second Wild Card spot will be significantly harder without the presence of their captain and leading scorer.
That’s the scenario Detroit is facing as its last regular season game on April 13th is a little over seven weeks away.
Zetterberg was shut down while representing Sweden in Sochi, but he was previously sidelined due to back problems this season. In fact, Red Wings GM Ken Holland went as far to suggest that Zetterberg’s present situation isn’t related to his decision to participate in the Olympics.
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 5
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 23
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 83
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 98
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)