Feb 21, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
He had a herniated disc in his back and part of it was removed. He might be out for eight weeks as a result, but that timetable isn’t set stone. What is clear is that the Red Wings’ task of hanging onto the second Wild Card spot will be significantly harder without the presence of their captain and leading scorer.
That’s the scenario Detroit is facing as its last regular season game on April 13th is a little over seven weeks away.
Zetterberg was shut down while representing Sweden in Sochi, but he was previously sidelined due to back problems this season. In fact, Red Wings GM Ken Holland went as far to suggest that Zetterberg’s present situation isn’t related to his decision to participate in the Olympics.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 43
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 34
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 10
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22