Feb 21, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
He had a herniated disc in his back and part of it was removed. He might be out for eight weeks as a result, but that timetable isn’t set stone. What is clear is that the Red Wings’ task of hanging onto the second Wild Card spot will be significantly harder without the presence of their captain and leading scorer.
That’s the scenario Detroit is facing as its last regular season game on April 13th is a little over seven weeks away.
Zetterberg was shut down while representing Sweden in Sochi, but he was previously sidelined due to back problems this season. In fact, Red Wings GM Ken Holland went as far to suggest that Zetterberg’s present situation isn’t related to his decision to participate in the Olympics.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 30
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 54
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (53)