Feb 21, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
He had a herniated disc in his back and part of it was removed. He might be out for eight weeks as a result, but that timetable isn’t set stone. What is clear is that the Red Wings’ task of hanging onto the second Wild Card spot will be significantly harder without the presence of their captain and leading scorer.
That’s the scenario Detroit is facing as its last regular season game on April 13th is a little over seven weeks away.
Zetterberg was shut down while representing Sweden in Sochi, but he was previously sidelined due to back problems this season. In fact, Red Wings GM Ken Holland went as far to suggest that Zetterberg’s present situation isn’t related to his decision to participate in the Olympics.
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 25
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 26
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 40
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)