Feb 21, 2014, 11:51 AM EST
He had a herniated disc in his back and part of it was removed. He might be out for eight weeks as a result, but that timetable isn’t set stone. What is clear is that the Red Wings’ task of hanging onto the second Wild Card spot will be significantly harder without the presence of their captain and leading scorer.
That’s the scenario Detroit is facing as its last regular season game on April 13th is a little over seven weeks away.
Zetterberg was shut down while representing Sweden in Sochi, but he was previously sidelined due to back problems this season. In fact, Red Wings GM Ken Holland went as far to suggest that Zetterberg’s present situation isn’t related to his decision to participate in the Olympics.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 56
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 34
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (169)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)