Feb 21, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
The United States carries a ton of momentum into this game while Canada might deal with a little self-doubt (and no John Tavares), but the bottom line is that both teams come in undefeated and only one will go to the gold medal game against Sweden.
Their semifinal match kicks off at noon ET today, so click here for the live stream:
MEN’S HOCKEY – Semifinals
United States vs. Canada: 12 p.m. ET (NBCSN) – CLICK HERE TO WATCH LIVE
You may remember a certain game on Feb. 28, 2010 when Sidney Crosby scored the golden goal to give Canada gold and leave the U.S. with silver. Crosby, naturally, will be on the ice, but the U.S. better hope that Ryan Miller remains a spectator behind Jonathan Quick. (Being that Miller’s appearance would likely come from either an injury or meltdown.)
That decision to go with Quick over Miller could very well be criticized or lionized based on how this game shakes out. The winner gets to face Sweden/Finland in the gold medal match while the loser settles for bronze or fourth place.
One of the two nations will guarantee its first medal on international ice in ages; Canada hasn’t won a men’s hockey medal on the larger ice surface since 1994 while the U.S. drought stretches back to 1972.
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 77
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (86)