Feb 21, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
The United States carries a ton of momentum into this game while Canada might deal with a little self-doubt (and no John Tavares), but the bottom line is that both teams come in undefeated and only one will go to the gold medal game against Sweden.
Their semifinal match kicks off at noon ET today, so click here for the live stream:
MEN’S HOCKEY – Semifinals
United States vs. Canada: 12 p.m. ET (NBCSN) – CLICK HERE TO WATCH LIVE
You may remember a certain game on Feb. 28, 2010 when Sidney Crosby scored the golden goal to give Canada gold and leave the U.S. with silver. Crosby, naturally, will be on the ice, but the U.S. better hope that Ryan Miller remains a spectator behind Jonathan Quick. (Being that Miller’s appearance would likely come from either an injury or meltdown.)
That decision to go with Quick over Miller could very well be criticized or lionized based on how this game shakes out. The winner gets to face Sweden/Finland in the gold medal match while the loser settles for bronze or fourth place.
One of the two nations will guarantee its first medal on international ice in ages; Canada hasn’t won a men’s hockey medal on the larger ice surface since 1994 while the U.S. drought stretches back to 1972.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 2
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)