Feb 21, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
The United States carries a ton of momentum into this game while Canada might deal with a little self-doubt (and no John Tavares), but the bottom line is that both teams come in undefeated and only one will go to the gold medal game against Sweden.
Their semifinal match kicks off at noon ET today, so click here for the live stream:
MEN’S HOCKEY – Semifinals
United States vs. Canada: 12 p.m. ET (NBCSN) – CLICK HERE TO WATCH LIVE
You may remember a certain game on Feb. 28, 2010 when Sidney Crosby scored the golden goal to give Canada gold and leave the U.S. with silver. Crosby, naturally, will be on the ice, but the U.S. better hope that Ryan Miller remains a spectator behind Jonathan Quick. (Being that Miller’s appearance would likely come from either an injury or meltdown.)
That decision to go with Quick over Miller could very well be criticized or lionized based on how this game shakes out. The winner gets to face Sweden/Finland in the gold medal match while the loser settles for bronze or fourth place.
One of the two nations will guarantee its first medal on international ice in ages; Canada hasn’t won a men’s hockey medal on the larger ice surface since 1994 while the U.S. drought stretches back to 1972.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)