Feb 21, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
The United States carries a ton of momentum into this game while Canada might deal with a little self-doubt (and no John Tavares), but the bottom line is that both teams come in undefeated and only one will go to the gold medal game against Sweden.
Their semifinal match kicks off at noon ET today, so click here for the live stream:
MEN’S HOCKEY – Semifinals
United States vs. Canada: 12 p.m. ET (NBCSN) – CLICK HERE TO WATCH LIVE
You may remember a certain game on Feb. 28, 2010 when Sidney Crosby scored the golden goal to give Canada gold and leave the U.S. with silver. Crosby, naturally, will be on the ice, but the U.S. better hope that Ryan Miller remains a spectator behind Jonathan Quick. (Being that Miller’s appearance would likely come from either an injury or meltdown.)
That decision to go with Quick over Miller could very well be criticized or lionized based on how this game shakes out. The winner gets to face Sweden/Finland in the gold medal match while the loser settles for bronze or fourth place.
One of the two nations will guarantee its first medal on international ice in ages; Canada hasn’t won a men’s hockey medal on the larger ice surface since 1994 while the U.S. drought stretches back to 1972.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 11
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 20
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 26
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 41
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 67
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 91
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 27
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (150)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (110)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)