Feb 21, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Those hoping for Evgeny Kuznetsov to make his debut in a Washington Capitals uniform will just have to keep waiting.
It appears Kuznetsov, taken in the first round, with the 26th overall pick by the Capitals in the 2010 NHL Draft, will remain in the KHL to play out the final year of his contract with the Traktor Chelyabinsk, according to the Washington Post.
“We’re proceeding as if he’s not going to be here,” Capitals general manager George McPhee told the Washington Post.
“And until he’s no longer playing in the KHL there’s probably not a lot that I can comment on there. He’s under contract and playing over there.”
In January, the Kuznetsov, a center also born in Chelyabinsk, has publicly stated his commitment to the Capitals and it’s expected he will join them for the 2014-15 season.
“Everything has been decided long ago, so I won’t stay for $10 or $15 million,” Kuznetsov said last month. “People have been waiting for me, writing and coming here for three years. I’m a decent man and I will keep my word.”
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 10
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 24
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 58
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 55
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Spezza: ‘I’m just a piece to the puzzle’ in Dallas 32
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Giroux apologizes, calls actions a ‘misguided attempt at humor’ (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)