Feb 21, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Those hoping for Evgeny Kuznetsov to make his debut in a Washington Capitals uniform will just have to keep waiting.
It appears Kuznetsov, taken in the first round, with the 26th overall pick by the Capitals in the 2010 NHL Draft, will remain in the KHL to play out the final year of his contract with the Traktor Chelyabinsk, according to the Washington Post.
“We’re proceeding as if he’s not going to be here,” Capitals general manager George McPhee told the Washington Post.
“And until he’s no longer playing in the KHL there’s probably not a lot that I can comment on there. He’s under contract and playing over there.”
In January, the Kuznetsov, a center also born in Chelyabinsk, has publicly stated his commitment to the Capitals and it’s expected he will join them for the 2014-15 season.
“Everything has been decided long ago, so I won’t stay for $10 or $15 million,” Kuznetsov said last month. “People have been waiting for me, writing and coming here for three years. I’m a decent man and I will keep my word.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)