Feb 21, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT
Canada took on a huge hockey rival in the United States today and managed to squeak by 1-0 in a high-paced, passionate, and well executed contest.
That’s not where this story ends though. While a rematch between Canada and the United States promised to be one of the highlights of the Olympics after the 2010 gold medal game, Canada needs to find a way to shrug this win off and refocus for Sunday’s contest against Sweden.
“Let’s be honest, we haven’t scored, we haven’t finished,” head coach Mike Babcock promised, per the Canadian Olympic Team. “We’re going to finish.”
Sweden is certainly a team capable of challenging the Canadians. They feature some of the games top skilled forwards, have a strong defense, and a potential game-changing goaltender in Henrik Lundqvist. Sweden is 5-0 at this point and hasn’t even been pushed to overtime so far.
It also sets up a situation where plenty of players used to working together will be on opposite sides, like Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog and Matt Duchene; Anaheim’s Jakob Silfverberg and Corey Perry/Ryan Getzlaf and St. Louis’ Alex Pietrangelo/Jay Bouwmeester and Alexander Steen.
By far the most noteworthy one, though…
Babcock laughs as he says he knows a lot about the Swedes. Among #RedWings on Tre Kronor: Kronwall, Ericsson, Nyquist.
— Stephen Whyno (@SWhyno) February 21, 2014
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 8
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)