Feb 21, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT
Canada took on a huge hockey rival in the United States today and managed to squeak by 1-0 in a high-paced, passionate, and well executed contest.
That’s not where this story ends though. While a rematch between Canada and the United States promised to be one of the highlights of the Olympics after the 2010 gold medal game, Canada needs to find a way to shrug this win off and refocus for Sunday’s contest against Sweden.
“Let’s be honest, we haven’t scored, we haven’t finished,” head coach Mike Babcock promised, per the Canadian Olympic Team. “We’re going to finish.”
Sweden is certainly a team capable of challenging the Canadians. They feature some of the games top skilled forwards, have a strong defense, and a potential game-changing goaltender in Henrik Lundqvist. Sweden is 5-0 at this point and hasn’t even been pushed to overtime so far.
It also sets up a situation where plenty of players used to working together will be on opposite sides, like Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog and Matt Duchene; Anaheim’s Jakob Silfverberg and Corey Perry/Ryan Getzlaf and St. Louis’ Alex Pietrangelo/Jay Bouwmeester and Alexander Steen.
By far the most noteworthy one, though…
Babcock laughs as he says he knows a lot about the Swedes. Among #RedWings on Tre Kronor: Kronwall, Ericsson, Nyquist.
— Stephen Whyno (@SWhyno) February 21, 2014
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)