Feb 21, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT
Canada took on a huge hockey rival in the United States today and managed to squeak by 1-0 in a high-paced, passionate, and well executed contest.
That’s not where this story ends though. While a rematch between Canada and the United States promised to be one of the highlights of the Olympics after the 2010 gold medal game, Canada needs to find a way to shrug this win off and refocus for Sunday’s contest against Sweden.
“Let’s be honest, we haven’t scored, we haven’t finished,” head coach Mike Babcock promised, per the Canadian Olympic Team. “We’re going to finish.”
Sweden is certainly a team capable of challenging the Canadians. They feature some of the games top skilled forwards, have a strong defense, and a potential game-changing goaltender in Henrik Lundqvist. Sweden is 5-0 at this point and hasn’t even been pushed to overtime so far.
It also sets up a situation where plenty of players used to working together will be on opposite sides, like Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog and Matt Duchene; Anaheim’s Jakob Silfverberg and Corey Perry/Ryan Getzlaf and St. Louis’ Alex Pietrangelo/Jay Bouwmeester and Alexander Steen.
By far the most noteworthy one, though…
Babcock laughs as he says he knows a lot about the Swedes. Among #RedWings on Tre Kronor: Kronwall, Ericsson, Nyquist.
— Stephen Whyno (@SWhyno) February 21, 2014
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 0
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 1
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (67)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)