Feb 20, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
This season has been a struggle for Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle. The 37-year-old rearguard missed extensive time with a concussion, struggled with his play upon returning and later acknowledged he rushed getting back into the lineup.
Now — following an Olympic break many pundits said would be good for him — Boyle’s responding to how he was portrayed in the media following the injury.
Here’s the video. Fast-forward to the 55 second mark.
A quick transcript for those unable to view:
“What can you say about me? Say whatever you want, you guys do anyway. I read the articles that this [Olympic break] is going to be really good for me, how I’ve been struggling all year, so you guys tell me.
“I’m 37 now, it’s not about individual points and I’ve been telling you guys that for years. Statistically, things weren’t really good last month but oddly enough, I think I’ve played pretty well. You guys are going to disagree because, statistically, it was horrible.
“But I do think a break is good for everybody. I did have a rough couple of months after the head injury but hopefully I’ll benefit from the break just like everybody else.”
Boyle had just one goal and three points in 15 games in January, finishing with a minus-4 rating. He’s on pace for just 32 points this season, which would be his lowest total since coming to San Jose in 2008.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 6
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)