Feb 20, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
This season has been a struggle for Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle. The 37-year-old rearguard missed extensive time with a concussion, struggled with his play upon returning and later acknowledged he rushed getting back into the lineup.
Now — following an Olympic break many pundits said would be good for him — Boyle’s responding to how he was portrayed in the media following the injury.
Here’s the video. Fast-forward to the 55 second mark.
A quick transcript for those unable to view:
“What can you say about me? Say whatever you want, you guys do anyway. I read the articles that this [Olympic break] is going to be really good for me, how I’ve been struggling all year, so you guys tell me.
“I’m 37 now, it’s not about individual points and I’ve been telling you guys that for years. Statistically, things weren’t really good last month but oddly enough, I think I’ve played pretty well. You guys are going to disagree because, statistically, it was horrible.
“But I do think a break is good for everybody. I did have a rough couple of months after the head injury but hopefully I’ll benefit from the break just like everybody else.”
Boyle had just one goal and three points in 15 games in January, finishing with a minus-4 rating. He’s on pace for just 32 points this season, which would be his lowest total since coming to San Jose in 2008.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)