Feb 20, 2014, 12:56 PM EST
This season has been a struggle for Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle. The 37-year-old rearguard missed extensive time with a concussion, struggled with his play upon returning and later acknowledged he rushed getting back into the lineup.
Now — following an Olympic break many pundits said would be good for him — Boyle’s responding to how he was portrayed in the media following the injury.
Here’s the video. Fast-forward to the 55 second mark.
A quick transcript for those unable to view:
“What can you say about me? Say whatever you want, you guys do anyway. I read the articles that this [Olympic break] is going to be really good for me, how I’ve been struggling all year, so you guys tell me.
“I’m 37 now, it’s not about individual points and I’ve been telling you guys that for years. Statistically, things weren’t really good last month but oddly enough, I think I’ve played pretty well. You guys are going to disagree because, statistically, it was horrible.
“But I do think a break is good for everybody. I did have a rough couple of months after the head injury but hopefully I’ll benefit from the break just like everybody else.”
Boyle had just one goal and three points in 15 games in January, finishing with a minus-4 rating. He’s on pace for just 32 points this season, which would be his lowest total since coming to San Jose in 2008.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)