Feb 20, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
The injuries sustained from a puck to the face over two weeks ago have left Nashville and Team USA GM David Poile without vision in his right eye.
“I’m not trying to be a hero or anything else,” Poile said, per the Nashville Post. “This is not a good situation. It is difficult but I have to – and want to – move on. … There’s different adjustments that [I’m] going to have to make but there’s lots of people that have lost an eye and they’re operating very well and I have to be one of them.”
Here’s Polie’s first public interview since suffering a fractured nose and orbital bone at the Xcel Energy Center on Feb. 6:
“The eye was opened up. I needed stitches in the eye,” Poile said. “There’s obviously damage in there that I’ve probably heard but haven’t totally listened to as they gave me the details. All I know is that there is substantial damage such that I don’t have any sight today and they’re holding out hope that something might change as the eye heals and improves.”
Poile was struck by deflected Shea Weber pass during the Predators’ morning skate at Xcel Energy Center on Feb. 6, resulting in a fractured orbital bone and nose. He underwent a pair of surgeries in Minnesota — which ruled out traveling to Sochi — and has subsequently undergone a third procedure (eye-related) to allow for further evaluation of his injury.
“I sort of knew at the beginning – I got hit and it kind of felt wrong,” he explained. “When I was in Minneapolis they did the operations and said, ‘We’re going to have to send you to Nashville to a specialist.’
“You knew that there was something and, of course, I’ve never been able to see out of it since then.”
Apr 16, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
“He gives us the best chance to win, so he’ll be the one starting.”
Apr 16, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
But both acknowledge they’ve heard the rumblings.
Apr 16, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
22-26-7 with a .901 save percentage.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Sacco, Forton, Numminen and Corsi are out.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
Top seeds don’t have it easy in the first round.
Apr 16, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Spent one season with the Oilers, now off to SKA St. Petersburg.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT
He’ll dress for the series opener against Tampa Bay tonight.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Steve Mason is “out.”
Apr 16, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Short answer: Plenty.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
Pittsburgh won all five meetings between the teams during the regular season.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Prove us wrong, all 16 teams. Prove…us…wrong.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
So, what happens now with Evander Kane?
Apr 16, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
Click inside to see…
Apr 16, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Tampa Bay’s top-six would have been in trouble without them.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
His solid regular season will be overshadowed by whatever he does in the playoffs.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Previewing the first round.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Going up against a pretty good team in L.A.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Add yours in the comments section.
Apr 16, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT
Well, that’s good for St. Louis.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 56
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 26
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 45
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 31
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (60)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)