Feb 20, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
The injuries sustained from a puck to the face over two weeks ago have left Nashville and Team USA GM David Poile without vision in his right eye.
“I’m not trying to be a hero or anything else,” Poile said, per the Nashville Post. “This is not a good situation. It is difficult but I have to – and want to – move on. … There’s different adjustments that [I’m] going to have to make but there’s lots of people that have lost an eye and they’re operating very well and I have to be one of them.”
Here’s Polie’s first public interview since suffering a fractured nose and orbital bone at the Xcel Energy Center on Feb. 6:
“The eye was opened up. I needed stitches in the eye,” Poile said. “There’s obviously damage in there that I’ve probably heard but haven’t totally listened to as they gave me the details. All I know is that there is substantial damage such that I don’t have any sight today and they’re holding out hope that something might change as the eye heals and improves.”
Poile was struck by deflected Shea Weber pass during the Predators’ morning skate at Xcel Energy Center on Feb. 6, resulting in a fractured orbital bone and nose. He underwent a pair of surgeries in Minnesota — which ruled out traveling to Sochi — and has subsequently undergone a third procedure (eye-related) to allow for further evaluation of his injury.
“I sort of knew at the beginning – I got hit and it kind of felt wrong,” he explained. “When I was in Minneapolis they did the operations and said, ‘We’re going to have to send you to Nashville to a specialist.’
“You knew that there was something and, of course, I’ve never been able to see out of it since then.”
May 25, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Featuring a whole lot of Dan Bylsma.
May 25, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
Have the Bolts learned their lesson?
May 25, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
He played just eight shifts in Sunday’s win.
May 25, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Wagner or Fleischman could draw in tonight.
May 25, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
May 25, 2015, 12:00 AM EDT
Two sides to the coin in a shutout.
May 24, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Bolts take a 3-2 series to Tampa Bay.
May 24, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
The Lightning are 7-0 when scoring the first goal in the playoffs.
May 24, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Degree of difficulty: high.
May 24, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Blocking shots can be a grind, too, after all.
May 24, 2015, 8:07 PM EDT
May 24, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
No clarification on what would qualify as “dramatic.”
May 24, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
Who will grab a 3-2 series lead?
May 24, 2015, 5:58 PM EDT
Can Anaheim grind this series out?
May 24, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Things weren’t a “perfect fit” for the blue liner in Nashville.
May 24, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
He coached Edmonton to a 17-25-9 record after Dallas Eakins was fired in December.
May 24, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
He’s gone nine games without a point.
May 24, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
He has not played since April 24.
May 24, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
He’s set to become an unrestricted free agent in July.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
He missed Game 4 due to an undisclosed injury.
- Here’s latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 0
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 61
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)