Feb 20, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Paul Stastny figures there’s no sense in dancing around the U.S.-Canada rivalry.
“I think it will be the true meaning of intense,” Stastny told the Denver Post of Friday’s looming semifinal matchup. “You know the guys on Canada, but we don’t like them. And they don’t like us.”
Stastny’s comments are a reflection of what’s become international hockey’s fiercest rivalry. The Canadians and Americans are set to meet in the playoff round for the third time in the last four Olympics — the only difference now is that, unlike 2002 and 2010, the two teams are playing to get into the gold medal game, as opposed to playing in it.
With that in mind, it’ll be interesting to watch NHL teammates try to best each other on Friday.
Stastny, part of the U.S. team that lost to Canada four years ago, will be up against Avs teammate Matt Duchene, who draws into the Canadian lineup for the injured John Tavares. There are numerous other examples of teammates facing off, including Kings defenseman Drew Doughty taking on Dustin Brown and Jonathan Quick.
For Doughty, the opportunity is priceless.
We want those bragging rights for the rest of the season. For the rest of your life, really,” Doughty told the L.A. Times. “I’m really close with both those guys, Quickie and Brownie. It’s going to be fun [Friday].
“I want to beat them so badly. We’re big rivals, us and the U.S., especially after the last Olympics. It’s going to be a lot of fun.”
Such is the life of athletes hard-wired for competition. Stastny perhaps explained it best.
“When you’re playing for your country, there’s always been a rivalry between the United States and Canada,” he said. “You don’t look at the names on the back of the uniform.
“You only look at the logo on the front.”
Mar 11, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
“It’s great to have him around,” said Wild head coach Mike Yeo.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Dallas GM Jim Nill also released a statement.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
“We need to take this one, especially if there’s a four-point swing,” says d-man Brendan Smith.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Rough season for him, to say the least.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Suffered third straight loss on Monday night vs. Toronto.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
“The fans won’t have it. The players won’t have it. And even if you hire a new GM, there is no way he’ll have it.”
Mar 11, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
He thinks the Panthers have a shot at winning the Stanley Cup before he retires.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames were already missing several forwards.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:12 AM EDT
Nothing’s official, but it sounds like he’ll stick with the Buffalo Sabres after all.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT
Washington desperately needs the two points.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:26 AM EDT
It was mostly a night of disappointments
Mar 11, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
“We need to be men.”
Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 AM EDT
It just keeps getting worse.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:29 AM EDT
It’s an MCL injury, according to Patrick Roy.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
It’s also his first point since Jan. 10.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
At least they have Ales Hemsky.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
The Stars say he’ll undergo extensive testing.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Washington carried much of the play.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Both teams have games on Tuesday.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 3
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 28
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)