Feb 20, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Paul Stastny figures there’s no sense in dancing around the U.S.-Canada rivalry.
“I think it will be the true meaning of intense,” Stastny told the Denver Post of Friday’s looming semifinal matchup. “You know the guys on Canada, but we don’t like them. And they don’t like us.”
Stastny’s comments are a reflection of what’s become international hockey’s fiercest rivalry. The Canadians and Americans are set to meet in the playoff round for the third time in the last four Olympics — the only difference now is that, unlike 2002 and 2010, the two teams are playing to get into the gold medal game, as opposed to playing in it.
With that in mind, it’ll be interesting to watch NHL teammates try to best each other on Friday.
Stastny, part of the U.S. team that lost to Canada four years ago, will be up against Avs teammate Matt Duchene, who draws into the Canadian lineup for the injured John Tavares. There are numerous other examples of teammates facing off, including Kings defenseman Drew Doughty taking on Dustin Brown and Jonathan Quick.
For Doughty, the opportunity is priceless.
We want those bragging rights for the rest of the season. For the rest of your life, really,” Doughty told the L.A. Times. “I’m really close with both those guys, Quickie and Brownie. It’s going to be fun [Friday].
“I want to beat them so badly. We’re big rivals, us and the U.S., especially after the last Olympics. It’s going to be a lot of fun.”
Such is the life of athletes hard-wired for competition. Stastny perhaps explained it best.
“When you’re playing for your country, there’s always been a rivalry between the United States and Canada,” he said. “You don’t look at the names on the back of the uniform.
“You only look at the logo on the front.”
Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Head coach Todd McLellan thinks he can play, at least.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
“But sometimes you have to lose what you have to realize what you had.”
Sep 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Players nursing bumps and bruises as camps wrap.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
“In a perfect world, it would be three.”
Sep 21, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
“He’s thinking usually two or three plays ahead.”
Sep 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT
“God, defense was just so much fun though.”
Sep 21, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
The team’s still trying to determine if surgery is necessary.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
He won’t play in either of Ottawa’s Monday exhibitions games.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Seasoning in the AHL should serve the 20-year-old well.
Sep 21, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Agent confirms talking to several KHL teams.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
With Giroux out, Craig Berube juggles lines.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Not at Oilers camp for the first time in his career.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Columbus looking at options with Johansen not at camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
The restricted free agent seems to be at an impasse with Columbus.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said he’s “fine,” but he initially said the same of Clowe when the player had a concussion.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
The knee injury he sustained during the lockout shortened season might be partially to blame for his struggles.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
That’s after years of being the center of a goaltending controversy in Vancouver.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Can they be the first repeat winners since Detroit in 1997-98?
Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
He was asked how he would have handled the Ray Rice situation.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)