Feb 20, 2014, 7:54 AM EDT
The 23-year-old forward underwent an MRI that showed he had a torn MCL and torn meniscus, according to Newsday writer Arthur Staple’s source. Consequently, Tavares might undergo surgery and will miss the remainder of the 2013-14 campaign.
The good news is that Tavares should be ready for the start of training camp in September.
He sustained the injury while playing in Canada’s quarterfinals match against Latvia.
Assuming the report is true, this brings an unfortunate end to what had been a productive season for Tavares. He had 24 goals and ranked third in the scoring race with 66 points going into the Olympics.
The New York Islanders were already all-but officially eliminated from the playoff race. Once the breaks over, their focus will likely be on building for the future by trading some veteran assets like forward Thomas Vanek.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Western Conference Final Game 7 0
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 8
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 17
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 38
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 21
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)