Feb 20, 2014, 7:54 AM EDT
The 23-year-old forward underwent an MRI that showed he had a torn MCL and torn meniscus, according to Newsday writer Arthur Staple’s source. Consequently, Tavares might undergo surgery and will miss the remainder of the 2013-14 campaign.
The good news is that Tavares should be ready for the start of training camp in September.
He sustained the injury while playing in Canada’s quarterfinals match against Latvia.
Assuming the report is true, this brings an unfortunate end to what had been a productive season for Tavares. He had 24 goals and ranked third in the scoring race with 66 points going into the Olympics.
The New York Islanders were already all-but officially eliminated from the playoff race. Once the breaks over, their focus will likely be on building for the future by trading some veteran assets like forward Thomas Vanek.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)