Feb 20, 2014, 7:54 AM EDT
The 23-year-old forward underwent an MRI that showed he had a torn MCL and torn meniscus, according to Newsday writer Arthur Staple’s source. Consequently, Tavares might undergo surgery and will miss the remainder of the 2013-14 campaign.
The good news is that Tavares should be ready for the start of training camp in September.
He sustained the injury while playing in Canada’s quarterfinals match against Latvia.
Assuming the report is true, this brings an unfortunate end to what had been a productive season for Tavares. He had 24 goals and ranked third in the scoring race with 66 points going into the Olympics.
The New York Islanders were already all-but officially eliminated from the playoff race. Once the breaks over, their focus will likely be on building for the future by trading some veteran assets like forward Thomas Vanek.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 18
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 76
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 95
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)