Feb 20, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
With the National Hockey League’s trade deadline fast approaching, it appears Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur‘s time with organization may be nearing an end sooner than any possible retirement plans.
According to Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger, the 41-year-old Brodeur may be asked to waive his no-trade clause before the March 5 deadline. Brodeur, who has played 1,248 regular season games – all with the Devils – and has recorded 682 wins in that span, not to mention his three Stanley Cup championships, has one year left on a two-year deal worth a cap hit of $4.5 million, as per Capgeek.com.
As players across the league not participating in Sochi took part in their first practices during this Olympic break, there appeared to be a sense of uncertainty about Brodeur’s future with the Devils. Earlier this month, there was a report that Brodeur met with Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello to discuss his future.
The addition of goalie Cory Schneider from the Vancouver Canucks last summer has only thickened the plot.
“I don’t know. I haven’t thought about it until I talk to people, and there is nothing planned yet. I’m probably going to wait,” Brodeur said, as per The Star-Ledger.
“I have no indication one way or the other that anything is going to happen. I haven’t discussed it with anybody really about what my plans are going to be for the next 23 games. I haven’t talked to the coach about playing time, either. I’m just going to get back into playing shape for the next seven days and we’ll see if I’m able to get the net.”
May 28, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
“They need to hear our anthem, that’s a part of losing.”
May 28, 2015, 10:02 PM EDT
Sharp says Blackhawks are ready for “whatever [the Ducks] throw at us.”
May 28, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Victor Hedman: “We’re prepared for this.”
May 28, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Retirement remains a possibility, and it might be his call.
May 28, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT
Even their first names are similar (Jordan and Jaden). Fun times ahead …
May 28, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, specifically.
May 28, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
“The fact that Mr. Peladeau is a separatist…we know very well whether it’s the owners of the team in Toronto or the owners of the Canadiens, they’re not separatists and they don’t want Quebec to separate.”
May 28, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
Says that “the expectation is to win right now.”
May 28, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Meanwhile, in the West, Corey Crawford has the edge in big-game experience over Frederik Andersen.
May 28, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT
Was set to become a UFA on July 1.
May 28, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT
Bit of a theme developing here…
May 28, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Pens to receive third-round pick in 2016 as compensation.
May 28, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
After scoring 80 points in 56 games for Youngstown.
May 28, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Rangers goalie knows he can’t rely on history to defeat the Lightning.
May 28, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT
The former Penguins coach is still under contract to Pittsburgh.
May 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EDT
Former Preds forward, who played for Roy in junior, is currently with KHL club CSKA.
May 28, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
Has spent the past three seasons coaching the Flyers’ AHL affiliate.
May 28, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Spent part of last season with the Bruins
May 28, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT
Which they lost by a score of 6-2.
May 28, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT
Which is next Wednesday.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)