Feb 20, 2014, 1:15 AM EST
With the National Hockey League’s trade deadline fast approaching, it appears Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur‘s time with organization may be nearing an end sooner than any possible retirement plans.
According to Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger, the 41-year-old Brodeur may be asked to waive his no-trade clause before the March 5 deadline. Brodeur, who has played 1,248 regular season games – all with the Devils – and has recorded 682 wins in that span, not to mention his three Stanley Cup championships, has one year left on a two-year deal worth a cap hit of $4.5 million, as per Capgeek.com.
As players across the league not participating in Sochi took part in their first practices during this Olympic break, there appeared to be a sense of uncertainty about Brodeur’s future with the Devils. Earlier this month, there was a report that Brodeur met with Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello to discuss his future.
The addition of goalie Cory Schneider from the Vancouver Canucks last summer has only thickened the plot.
“I don’t know. I haven’t thought about it until I talk to people, and there is nothing planned yet. I’m probably going to wait,” Brodeur said, as per The Star-Ledger.
“I have no indication one way or the other that anything is going to happen. I haven’t discussed it with anybody really about what my plans are going to be for the next 23 games. I haven’t talked to the coach about playing time, either. I’m just going to get back into playing shape for the next seven days and we’ll see if I’m able to get the net.”
Nov 22, 2014, 1:45 AM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 12:40 AM EST
Booed off the ice at the end of this game.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:52 PM EST
It was nice.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:29 PM EST
Going from bad to worse for Edmonton.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:51 PM EST
Lucic didn’t drop his gloves. Prout did. History between these two.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:17 PM EST
There’s a history between these two.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:02 PM EST
Columbus was leading 2-0 at the time.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EST
Ranks seventh in the NHL in ice time.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:49 PM EST
Possible headbutt in this fight?
Nov 21, 2014, 8:11 PM EST
They’ve won big and they’ve lost big.
Nov 21, 2014, 7:14 PM EST
A San Jose draft pick from 2008.
Nov 21, 2014, 6:37 PM EST
Avs call up a trio of players from the AHL.
Nov 21, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
“I really feel bad for him. It appears his parents mismanaged his money.”
Nov 21, 2014, 4:40 PM EST
Pursuant to the “Bona Fide Long-Term Injury Exception” section of the CBA.
Nov 21, 2014, 4:21 PM EST
That’s a guy shoveling snow off his roof in Buffalo.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EST
D-man for d-man.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:17 PM EST
Currently out of the playoff picture in the Western Conference.
Nov 21, 2014, 2:29 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 21, 2014, 2:21 PM EST
Even coach DeBoer is surprised a backup hasn’t started yet.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
Veteran Avs forward won’t play Saturday against Carolina.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)