Feb 20, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
It’s not unusual for politicians to place a friendly wager on a major sporting event.
For example, when the Chicago Blackhawks and Los Angeles Kings faced each other in the 2013 Western Conference finals, the Mayors of their respective cities put a lot of food on the line ranging from Italian beef sandwiches to Hollenbeck Burritos. For the Stanley Cup Final, the Governors of Massachusetts and Illinois decided that the losing state leader would work at a food bank.
When it comes to the Olympics though, the stakes are higher, so naturally U.S. President Barack Obama and Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper have set the terms ahead of the upcoming gold medal game between Canada and America in women’s hockey and semifinals contest on the men’s side.
So what are two of the most powerful men in the world laying on the line ahead of what’s sure to be a pair of classic games between their nations?
— The White House (@WhiteHouse) February 20, 2014
Well…it’s definitely something.
They don’t specify what type of beer it is, so perhaps it’s rare beer brewed within deep underground lairs. Carefully constructed over the lives of several generations of scientists, father to son, mother to daughter. Beer that has never been exposed to the light of the sun. A new level of beverage that has yet to touch a human’s tongue.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 11
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 28
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)