Feb 20, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
It’s not unusual for politicians to place a friendly wager on a major sporting event.
For example, when the Chicago Blackhawks and Los Angeles Kings faced each other in the 2013 Western Conference finals, the Mayors of their respective cities put a lot of food on the line ranging from Italian beef sandwiches to Hollenbeck Burritos. For the Stanley Cup Final, the Governors of Massachusetts and Illinois decided that the losing state leader would work at a food bank.
When it comes to the Olympics though, the stakes are higher, so naturally U.S. President Barack Obama and Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper have set the terms ahead of the upcoming gold medal game between Canada and America in women’s hockey and semifinals contest on the men’s side.
So what are two of the most powerful men in the world laying on the line ahead of what’s sure to be a pair of classic games between their nations?
— The White House (@WhiteHouse) February 20, 2014
Well…it’s definitely something.
They don’t specify what type of beer it is, so perhaps it’s rare beer brewed within deep underground lairs. Carefully constructed over the lives of several generations of scientists, father to son, mother to daughter. Beer that has never been exposed to the light of the sun. A new level of beverage that has yet to touch a human’s tongue.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)