Feb 20, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
It’s not unusual for politicians to place a friendly wager on a major sporting event.
For example, when the Chicago Blackhawks and Los Angeles Kings faced each other in the 2013 Western Conference finals, the Mayors of their respective cities put a lot of food on the line ranging from Italian beef sandwiches to Hollenbeck Burritos. For the Stanley Cup Final, the Governors of Massachusetts and Illinois decided that the losing state leader would work at a food bank.
When it comes to the Olympics though, the stakes are higher, so naturally U.S. President Barack Obama and Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper have set the terms ahead of the upcoming gold medal game between Canada and America in women’s hockey and semifinals contest on the men’s side.
So what are two of the most powerful men in the world laying on the line ahead of what’s sure to be a pair of classic games between their nations?
— The White House (@WhiteHouse) February 20, 2014
Well…it’s definitely something.
They don’t specify what type of beer it is, so perhaps it’s rare beer brewed within deep underground lairs. Carefully constructed over the lives of several generations of scientists, father to son, mother to daughter. Beer that has never been exposed to the light of the sun. A new level of beverage that has yet to touch a human’s tongue.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)