Feb 20, 2014, 1:28 PM EST
McPhee said Mikhail Ovechkin had heart problems after Russia’s gm vs Slovakia on Feb. 16. Ovi didn’t know until after Russia was eliminated.
— Katie Carrera (@kcarrera) February 20, 2014
Caps GM George McPhee says Alex Ovechkin’s father had heart issues that required surgery. He’s out of ICU and stable condition.#CapitalsTalk
— Chuck Gormley (@ChuckGormleyCSN) February 20, 2014
Russia was eliminated from Olympic competition yesterday following a 3-1 defeat to Finland. McPhee said he was unsure when Ovechkin would return to Washington, telling him to stay in Russia for as long as needed.
The Caps next play on Thursday, Feb. 27 with a road date in Florida.
Russia men’s hockey PR rep says @ovi8 didn’t show for charter flight to moscow this a.m., but no reason given at time. Now we know why.
— Dave Sheinin (@DaveSheinin) February 20, 2014
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 12
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 104
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (104)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)