Feb 20, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
McPhee said Mikhail Ovechkin had heart problems after Russia’s gm vs Slovakia on Feb. 16. Ovi didn’t know until after Russia was eliminated.
— Katie Carrera (@kcarrera) February 20, 2014
Caps GM George McPhee says Alex Ovechkin’s father had heart issues that required surgery. He’s out of ICU and stable condition.#CapitalsTalk
— Chuck Gormley (@ChuckGormleyCSN) February 20, 2014
Russia was eliminated from Olympic competition yesterday following a 3-1 defeat to Finland. McPhee said he was unsure when Ovechkin would return to Washington, telling him to stay in Russia for as long as needed.
The Caps next play on Thursday, Feb. 27 with a road date in Florida.
Russia men’s hockey PR rep says @ovi8 didn’t show for charter flight to moscow this a.m., but no reason given at time. Now we know why.
— Dave Sheinin (@DaveSheinin) February 20, 2014
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)