Feb 20, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
McPhee said Mikhail Ovechkin had heart problems after Russia’s gm vs Slovakia on Feb. 16. Ovi didn’t know until after Russia was eliminated.
— Katie Carrera (@kcarrera) February 20, 2014
Caps GM George McPhee says Alex Ovechkin’s father had heart issues that required surgery. He’s out of ICU and stable condition.#CapitalsTalk
— Chuck Gormley (@ChuckGormleyCSN) February 20, 2014
Russia was eliminated from Olympic competition yesterday following a 3-1 defeat to Finland. McPhee said he was unsure when Ovechkin would return to Washington, telling him to stay in Russia for as long as needed.
The Caps next play on Thursday, Feb. 27 with a road date in Florida.
Russia men’s hockey PR rep says @ovi8 didn’t show for charter flight to moscow this a.m., but no reason given at time. Now we know why.
— Dave Sheinin (@DaveSheinin) February 20, 2014
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 7
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)