Feb 20, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
McPhee said Mikhail Ovechkin had heart problems after Russia’s gm vs Slovakia on Feb. 16. Ovi didn’t know until after Russia was eliminated.
— Katie Carrera (@kcarrera) February 20, 2014
Caps GM George McPhee says Alex Ovechkin’s father had heart issues that required surgery. He’s out of ICU and stable condition.#CapitalsTalk
— Chuck Gormley (@ChuckGormleyCSN) February 20, 2014
Russia was eliminated from Olympic competition yesterday following a 3-1 defeat to Finland. McPhee said he was unsure when Ovechkin would return to Washington, telling him to stay in Russia for as long as needed.
The Caps next play on Thursday, Feb. 27 with a road date in Florida.
Russia men’s hockey PR rep says @ovi8 didn’t show for charter flight to moscow this a.m., but no reason given at time. Now we know why.
— Dave Sheinin (@DaveSheinin) February 20, 2014
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 29
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 60
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 22
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 12
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (60)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)