Feb 20, 2014, 6:36 PM EST
Team Russia’s failure to win a medal on home ice in Sochi is a disappointment for Russians all over, especially those who didn’t get to represent their country.
“It’s happened way too many times in the last three Olympics. A lot of star players. I think they can’t play with each other. Too many leaders,” said Loktionov. “Everybody was waiting for something. Hockey is the (most important) medal.”
Direct and to the point.
That said, were there too many stars on the Russian team? Outside of the top six forwards (Ilya Kovalchuk, Pavel Datsyuk, Alexander Ovechkin, Alexander Radulov, Evgeni Malkin, Alexander Semin), the Russian lineup was filled with either young, upcoming potential stars or guys from the KHL.
Chemistry, on the other hand, is a good point. Throwing everyone together and expecting them to jell immediately can be asking a lot. In Russia’s situation, goals were hard to come by and they did look out of sync in the five games they played.
As for having too many leaders, well, there are a lot of captains on the Canadian and United States rosters and they’re playing tomorrow for a shot at gold.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)