Feb 20, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
Pavel Datsyuk isn’t rushing back to rejoin the Red Wings.
Ken Holland says that’s just fine.
“He’s taken an opportunity to go home for a few days,” the Wings GM said, per the Detroit Free Press. “I told him just to be on the ice Tuesday for practice. We certainly expect him to play Wednesday, but we’ll see how he feels.”
Datsyuk, from Yekaterinburg, was one of the few Russian players to exceed expectations at the Olympics. He came into Sochi hobbled by a knee injury but was the team’s best player, sharing the scoring lead (six points) with Alex Radulov while averaging nearly 18 and a half minutes per game.
Holland called the performance “tremendous,” especially in light of Datsyuk’s health.
“I thought he played very very well,” Holland said. “I know that he’s been battling an injury going back to December. Now he’s played five games here in short period of time. Hopefully, he’ll be ready to play for us next week.”
The 35-year-old Datsyuk might be going home for a rest, his workload will get heavy upon returning to Detroit. The Wings are going to be without captain Henrik Zetterberg for an undetermined length of time and Datsyuk will need to carry the load if the team wants to make the playoffs for a 23rd consecutive season.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 14
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 37
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 149
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (151)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)