Feb 20, 2014, 11:56 PM EST
The Washington Capitals’ ailing defense will get some help in the near future and not necessarily via the trade market.
“I feel good. The break couldn’t come at a better time,” Green said. “It’s just a matter of skating here, I didn’t skate much before.”
Green missed the final five games before the Olympic break with the head injury. Washington’s defense corps was worse for the wear with him out as they used youngster Patrick Wey, journeyman Julien Brouillette and rookie Connor Carrick in his stead.
In the Caps’ final game before the break, Brouillette scored a goal and Wey had an assist in a 3-0 win against the New Jersey Devils. That made for a nice stop-gap, but Green’s eventual return will give them a big lift.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 15
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 15
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 110
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (110)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)