Feb 20, 2014, 9:02 AM EDT
After what has likely been a demoralizing week for the superstar, the question turns to if it will impact his game when he returns to the Washington Capitals.
“Hopefully it’s not something that will affect him with us but I’m sure the next few days will be tough for him.
“You could go to the Olympics and be riding the biggest high just before you get there then you could play bad, you could come back and feel awful. You hope that that’s not the case.”
The Capitals lost their playoff spot before the Olympic break, but they’re only behind by a single point in the Wild Card race. They’re built around Ovechkin and he’s delivered so far this season with an incredible 40 goals and 60 points in 55 games.
Returning to Washington presents him with another opportunity. While he will never get another chance to earn an Olympic gold medal at home, the 28-year-old still has plenty of time left to win the Stanley Cup. The Capitals certainly aren’t favorites to do so this year, but when Ovechkin’s at his best, they’re a major threat.
Alternatively, if he suffers a post-Olympics drop off in production, they will have a tough time even making the playoffs.
#Capitals Alex Ovechkin had 42 goals & 89 points in 54 games before 2010 Olympics & 8 goals and 20 points in 18 games after. #2014 slump?
— Michael Finewax (@mfinewaxhockey) February 20, 2014
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)