Feb 20, 2014, 9:02 AM EDT
After what has likely been a demoralizing week for the superstar, the question turns to if it will impact his game when he returns to the Washington Capitals.
“Hopefully it’s not something that will affect him with us but I’m sure the next few days will be tough for him.
“You could go to the Olympics and be riding the biggest high just before you get there then you could play bad, you could come back and feel awful. You hope that that’s not the case.”
The Capitals lost their playoff spot before the Olympic break, but they’re only behind by a single point in the Wild Card race. They’re built around Ovechkin and he’s delivered so far this season with an incredible 40 goals and 60 points in 55 games.
Returning to Washington presents him with another opportunity. While he will never get another chance to earn an Olympic gold medal at home, the 28-year-old still has plenty of time left to win the Stanley Cup. The Capitals certainly aren’t favorites to do so this year, but when Ovechkin’s at his best, they’re a major threat.
Alternatively, if he suffers a post-Olympics drop off in production, they will have a tough time even making the playoffs.
#Capitals Alex Ovechkin had 42 goals & 89 points in 54 games before 2010 Olympics & 8 goals and 20 points in 18 games after. #2014 slump?
— Michael Finewax (@mfinewaxhockey) February 20, 2014
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)