Feb 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EST
In women’s hockey, there is no bigger prize than Olympic gold medals.
On Thursday, the U.S. was fewer than five minutes from achieving the ultimate prize, before Canada stormed back with two late goals to send the contest to sudden death overtime, where Marie-Philip Poulin scored the goal that brought gold medals to Canada.
For Canada, it’s their fourth consecutive gold medals in women’s Olympic hockey.
For the U.S., it is their second straight silver medals.
The Canadians pulled within 2-1 when Brianne Jenner scored with less than four minutes to go in regulation. A short time later, they opted to pull goalie Shannon Szabados from the net – only to have an American shot fired from deep within their zone toward the open goal.
The puck hit the left post. Canada was still alive.
And with 55 seconds remaining in regulation, they pulled even as Poulin – who scored both goals in the Canadians’ 2-0 gold medal win over the U.S. four years ago in Vancouver – lit the lamp.
The game then went to overtime, which featured a series of penalties that left the Canadians with an eventual 5-on-3 advantage. At the 8:10 mark, Poulin struck again and zipped a quick shot into the net.
The heroine of Vancouver became the heroine of Sochi.
WOMEN’S HOCKEY – GOLD MEDAL GAME
CANADA 3, UNITED STATES 2 (OT)
USA – Meghan Duggan (Jocelyne Lamoureux), 11:57 – USA 1-0
USA – Alex Carpenter (Hilary Knight, Kelli Stack), 2:01 – USA 2-0
CAN – Brianne Jenner (Meaghan Mikkelson, Jocelyne Larocque), 16:34 – USA 2-1
CAN – Marie-Philip Poulin (Rebecca Johnston, Haley Irwin), 19:05 – TIE 2-2
CAN – Poulin (Laura Fortino), 8:10 – CAN 3-2
CAN – Shannon Szabados, 27 saves on 29 shots
USA – Jessie Vetter, 28 saves on 31 shots
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)