Feb 20, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
In a wide-raging interview with NBC’s Al Michaels, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said the NHL game is “better” than Olympic hockey.
Michaels asked Bettman about the play on expanded international ice — the rinks in Sochi are 200-feet long by 100-feet wide, 15 feet wider than NHL ice — and the commissioner said he felt the North American game was superior.
“I think our game is better,” Bettman said. “I think our game has more offensive intensity, particularly play around the net.”
“There have been some people who have advocated that it’s a little safer. I don’t buy that either. In Vancouver — which, by the way, most people say has been the best hockey tournament there’s been in the Olympics — that was played on NHL ice, and our injury factors seemed to be a lot less than they are here [in Sochi].”
Bettman noted that “five players” had been hurt during the Sochi Games. Those would be Henrik Zetterberg, Aleksander Barkov, Tomas Kopecky, Mats Zuccarello and John Tavares — the latter being a 2013 Hart Trophy candidate for NHL MVP, now ruled out for the remainder of the season with a torn MCL.
In short, the commissioner doesn’t see any upside to the larger sheet.
“I’ve talked to a lot of our hockey people who are here,” Bettman said. “We’re not advocates of the bigger ice.”
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)