Feb 19, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
The Olympics turned out to be a rough one for Norway’s Mats Zuccarello and now the New York Rangers will have to deal with the aftermath.
Andrew Gross at Ranger Rants says the Rangers said an MRI out of Russia confirmed the injury and he’ll be reevaluated on Thursday by a team medical consultant.
The injury comes at a most unfortunate time for both Zuccarello and the Rangers. This season, he leads the team in points with 43 and is tied with Brad Richards for second on the team in goals behind Rick Nash.
The Rangers are in second place in the Metropolitan Division but are 16 points behind Pittsburgh for first. If they’re without Zuccarello for a length of time, they’ll need to see someone else step up offensively to fill his shoes.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 47
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)