Feb 19, 2014, 5:17 PM EST
The Olympics turned out to be a rough one for Norway’s Mats Zuccarello and now the New York Rangers will have to deal with the aftermath.
Andrew Gross at Ranger Rants says the Rangers said an MRI out of Russia confirmed the injury and he’ll be reevaluated on Thursday by a team medical consultant.
The injury comes at a most unfortunate time for both Zuccarello and the Rangers. This season, he leads the team in points with 43 and is tied with Brad Richards for second on the team in goals behind Rick Nash.
The Rangers are in second place in the Metropolitan Division but are 16 points behind Pittsburgh for first. If they’re without Zuccarello for a length of time, they’ll need to see someone else step up offensively to fill his shoes.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (125)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)