Feb 19, 2014, 5:13 AM EDT
Slovenia was able to hang in there for quite a while, but its Cinderella run ended on Wednesday, as Sweden handled them 5-0. Sweden awaits the winner of Finland – Russia in the semifinals of the men’s ice hockey tournament.
The Swedes carried much of the play, generating a 26-11 shot advantage through two periods, yet they entered the third with a nail-bitingly small 1-0 lead. They pulled away in the final frame, however, as Daniel Sedin, Loui Eriksson and Carl Hagelin notched three goals in about 10 minutes. Hagelin added a second tally later in the third.
Alexander Steen scored the first goal of the game.
Hagelin might have enjoyed that strong finish the most, as he gained a little revenge for a questionable hit earlier in the game. Sabahudin Kovacevic received a two-minute interference penalty for hitting Hagelin after the puck was near him. Kovacevic already found himself suspended once in this tournament and may have drawn similar attention* for today’s hit.
Slovenia finishes the tournament with victories both real and “moral,” as they put up respectable resistance to Russia, U.S. and Swedish powers and convincingly defeated Slovakia and Austria. It’s the kind of run that Anze Kopitar and his fellow teammates will likely remember for ages.
While many wondered about Henrik Lundqvist‘s viability in this tournament considering a rocky start to his 2013-14 season, the Swedish goalie is providing evidence that he remains elite; he already has two shutouts in this tournament.
We’ll find out soon enough if the Swedes can continue their strong run in Olympic games on international ice, as they took gold in 2006.
Sweden will find out its next opponent soon enough, as Russia – Finland kicks off at 7:30 a.m. ET.
* – He may still as a matter of formality for future competition …
Apr 24, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Will Andersen or Hiller start in Game 5?
Apr 24, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
“I think he likes the big stage.”
Apr 24, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Elsewhere, Detroit will play Boston and Colorado will face the Wild.
Apr 24, 2014, 1:59 AM EDT
The Blackhawks gave the Blues a taste of their own medicine.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:52 AM EDT
Another memorable moment for the American star.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:25 AM EDT
The NFL defensive back strategy.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Nice gesture … bad sign?
Apr 23, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT
Nick Foligno called his goal ahead of time.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
Just a nightmarish evening for Anaheim.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Is history repeating itself?
Apr 23, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Pittsburgh once again can’t hold a team to less than three goals.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Many wonder why he played the puck.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
He was hurt on Saturday.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:27 PM EDT
We ask, you answer.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
He was punished for a knee-on-knee hit to Colorado’s Tyson Barrie.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:37 PM EDT
Chicago is trying to even the series.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
But Pittsburgh’s lead is far from secure.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
He was second in the regular season scoring race.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
San Jose will go for the sweep on Thursday.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
Nick Schultz took his place.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 19
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 80
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 96
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)