Feb 19, 2014, 5:13 AM EDT
Slovenia was able to hang in there for quite a while, but its Cinderella run ended on Wednesday, as Sweden handled them 5-0. Sweden awaits the winner of Finland – Russia in the semifinals of the men’s ice hockey tournament.
The Swedes carried much of the play, generating a 26-11 shot advantage through two periods, yet they entered the third with a nail-bitingly small 1-0 lead. They pulled away in the final frame, however, as Daniel Sedin, Loui Eriksson and Carl Hagelin notched three goals in about 10 minutes. Hagelin added a second tally later in the third.
Alexander Steen scored the first goal of the game.
Hagelin might have enjoyed that strong finish the most, as he gained a little revenge for a questionable hit earlier in the game. Sabahudin Kovacevic received a two-minute interference penalty for hitting Hagelin after the puck was near him. Kovacevic already found himself suspended once in this tournament and may have drawn similar attention* for today’s hit.
Slovenia finishes the tournament with victories both real and “moral,” as they put up respectable resistance to Russia, U.S. and Swedish powers and convincingly defeated Slovakia and Austria. It’s the kind of run that Anze Kopitar and his fellow teammates will likely remember for ages.
While many wondered about Henrik Lundqvist‘s viability in this tournament considering a rocky start to his 2013-14 season, the Swedish goalie is providing evidence that he remains elite; he already has two shutouts in this tournament.
We’ll find out soon enough if the Swedes can continue their strong run in Olympic games on international ice, as they took gold in 2006.
Sweden will find out its next opponent soon enough, as Russia – Finland kicks off at 7:30 a.m. ET.
* – He may still as a matter of formality for future competition …
Apr 20, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Was shaken up after taking a knee to the head.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
Just another game between these two California rivals.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:34 PM EDT
Jon Cooper straddles the line between snarky and careful.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Tough breaks for Tampa Bay.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Remarkable … and risky?
Apr 20, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Kings hope to avoid two straight years of 0-2 first-round deficits.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Tampa Bay’s captain managed to return later in the game.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Classy gesture after 16 seasons with the Predators.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:32 PM EDT
Not exactly an ideal start for Anders Lindback.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
He stopped 31 out of 33 in Sunday’s win vs. the Rangers.
Apr 20, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Can the Bolts get back in this series?
Apr 20, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
Milan Lucic scored a goal a game after that spearing incident.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
They are playing on opposite sides in the Detroit-Boston series.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
They’re down 2-0 to Montreal going into Game 3 tonight.
Apr 20, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
The series is tied at 1-1.
Apr 20, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Chicago will have to find a way to get back into this series without one of its top defenseman.
Apr 20, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
It’s the second part of NBC’s doubleheader.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
He stopped 30 shots on Saturday.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Pittsburgh dropped Game 2 against Columbus.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 17
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 36
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 54
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 88
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (87)