Feb 19, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
The daggers were out following Russia’s 3-1 loss to Finland on Wednesday, many pointed in the direction of head coach Zinetula Bilyaletdinov.
“Coach Bil” came under heavy fire during the postgame media availability — attended by PHT’s Jason Brough — and it proved to be as dramatic a scene as what transpired on the ice:
Russian journalist scolding the coach for not playing Malkin and Ovechkin on different lines. Great theater in this presser
— Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) February 19, 2014
First 10 questions at coaches press conference all directed at the losing Russian coach. What theatre. — Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) February 19, 2014
Russian reporter asks if this was a “catastrophe.” Russian coach Bilyaletdinov: “Let’s not play word games. I said it was unsuccessful.” — Mark Lazerus (@MarkLazerus) February 19, 2014
Russian coach says it’s difficult to explain why they couldn’t score. He can’t explain it. — Jason Brough (@JasonPHT) February 19, 2014
“I can only say words of apology.” — Russian coach through translator
— Jason Brough (@JasonPHT) February 19, 2014
In terms of game specifics, two things immediately jumped out. One, Bilyaletdinov referenced Alexander Ovechkin‘s lack of goalscoring — Ovi scored 77 seconds into the tournament-opening game against Slovenia, then failed to score again — and reportedly did so without prompting.
Two, according to NHL.com’s Dan Rosen, Bilyaletdinov had to be told by Evgeni Malkin to pull Sergei Bobrovsky at the end of the game for an extra attacker.
Bilyaletdinov shouldered the majority of the blame for the loss, saying “I’m at fault for everything” while apologizing repeatedly for the early exit. Speaking of exits, Coach Bil’s ended up being difficult…
Russian coach asked if he would stay in Sochi to watch the Games. Through translator: “No. I’d rather leave.”
— Bruce Arthur (@bruce_arthur) February 19, 2014
As he tries to leave, Bilyaletdinov cornered at the door pic.twitter.com/QGlC2sQYNS
— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) February 19, 2014
Apr 24, 2014, 1:59 AM EDT
The Blackhawks gave the Blues a taste of their own medicine.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:52 AM EDT
Another memorable moment for the American star.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:25 AM EDT
The NFL defensive back strategy.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Nice gesture … bad sign?
Apr 23, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT
Nick Foligno called his goal ahead of time.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
Just a nightmarish evening for Anaheim.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Is history repeating itself?
Apr 23, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Pittsburgh once again can’t hold a team to less than three goals.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Many wonder why he played the puck.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
He was hurt on Saturday.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:27 PM EDT
We ask, you answer.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
He was punished for a knee-on-knee hit to Colorado’s Tyson Barrie.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:37 PM EDT
Chicago is trying to even the series.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
But Pittsburgh’s lead is far from secure.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
He was second in the regular season scoring race.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
San Jose will go for the sweep on Thursday.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
Nick Schultz took his place.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
The game will start at 8:00 p.m. ET.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
Neither team has done a good job of playing with the lead.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
He made his series debut in the late stages of Game 3.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)