Feb 19, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT
Things are looking up for the Nashville Predators as the Olympic break winds down.
Getting the Finnish netminder back on the ice and working out is a welcome sight for the Preds as they’ve been trying to stay afloat in the Western Conference playoff race with a motley crew of goalies.
The Preds have used Carter Hutton, Marek Mazanec and, most recently, Devan Dubnyk to help get them through Rinne’s injury. Of that bunch, Hutton has been the best, but Dubnyk has made only two starts since arriving in Nashville in a trade from the Edmonton Oilers.
The Predators are four points behind Dallas for the final wild card spot in the West and while their offense needs help, getting Rinne’s superior goaltending back will give them a lift.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)