Feb 19, 2014, 2:47 PM EST
Islanders captain and Team Canada forward is done for the remainder of the Winter Olympic tournament with a knee injury, according to sources of Newsday’s Arthur Staple.
Tavares, 23, was hurt during Canada’s 2-1 win over Latvia in the quarterfinals. He was hit near the boards by Latvian defenseman Arturs Kulda in the second period and looked to be in pain, immediately skating off while wincing in discomfort.
Tavares then left the bench and didn’t return for the remainder of the contest.
We’ll continue to monitor the situation but, if the injury is serious, it’s a significant blow for the Islanders, who are thoroughly reliant on their young star. Tavares earned his first-ever Hart Trophy nomination for league MVP last season and helped the Isles snap a six-year playoff drought in the process.
As for Team Canada, the injury report — if accurate — means Matt Duchene will draw back into the lineup after sitting against Latvia as the 14th forward. It’s also likely Patrice Bergeron will return to his natural center position after playing the wing this tournament (Tavares started today’s game centering Patrick Sharp and Rick Nash.)
Canadian head coach Mike Babcock has confirmed Tavares will miss the remainder of the tournament due to the injury.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)