Feb 19, 2014, 2:47 PM EDT
Islanders captain and Team Canada forward is done for the remainder of the Winter Olympic tournament with a knee injury, according to sources of Newsday’s Arthur Staple.
Tavares, 23, was hurt during Canada’s 2-1 win over Latvia in the quarterfinals. He was hit near the boards by Latvian defenseman Arturs Kulda in the second period and looked to be in pain, immediately skating off while wincing in discomfort.
Tavares then left the bench and didn’t return for the remainder of the contest.
We’ll continue to monitor the situation but, if the injury is serious, it’s a significant blow for the Islanders, who are thoroughly reliant on their young star. Tavares earned his first-ever Hart Trophy nomination for league MVP last season and helped the Isles snap a six-year playoff drought in the process.
As for Team Canada, the injury report — if accurate — means Matt Duchene will draw back into the lineup after sitting against Latvia as the 14th forward. It’s also likely Patrice Bergeron will return to his natural center position after playing the wing this tournament (Tavares started today’s game centering Patrick Sharp and Rick Nash.)
Canadian head coach Mike Babcock has confirmed Tavares will miss the remainder of the tournament due to the injury.
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 15
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 11
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)