Feb 19, 2014, 2:47 PM EST
Islanders captain and Team Canada forward is done for the remainder of the Winter Olympic tournament with a knee injury, according to sources of Newsday’s Arthur Staple.
Tavares, 23, was hurt during Canada’s 2-1 win over Latvia in the quarterfinals. He was hit near the boards by Latvian defenseman Arturs Kulda in the second period and looked to be in pain, immediately skating off while wincing in discomfort.
Tavares then left the bench and didn’t return for the remainder of the contest.
We’ll continue to monitor the situation but, if the injury is serious, it’s a significant blow for the Islanders, who are thoroughly reliant on their young star. Tavares earned his first-ever Hart Trophy nomination for league MVP last season and helped the Isles snap a six-year playoff drought in the process.
As for Team Canada, the injury report — if accurate — means Matt Duchene will draw back into the lineup after sitting against Latvia as the 14th forward. It’s also likely Patrice Bergeron will return to his natural center position after playing the wing this tournament (Tavares started today’s game centering Patrick Sharp and Rick Nash.)
Canadian head coach Mike Babcock has confirmed Tavares will miss the remainder of the tournament due to the injury.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)