Feb 19, 2014, 2:47 PM EDT
Islanders captain and Team Canada forward is done for the remainder of the Winter Olympic tournament with a knee injury, according to sources of Newsday’s Arthur Staple.
Tavares, 23, was hurt during Canada’s 2-1 win over Latvia in the quarterfinals. He was hit near the boards by Latvian defenseman Arturs Kulda in the second period and looked to be in pain, immediately skating off while wincing in discomfort.
Tavares then left the bench and didn’t return for the remainder of the contest.
We’ll continue to monitor the situation but, if the injury is serious, it’s a significant blow for the Islanders, who are thoroughly reliant on their young star. Tavares earned his first-ever Hart Trophy nomination for league MVP last season and helped the Isles snap a six-year playoff drought in the process.
As for Team Canada, the injury report — if accurate — means Matt Duchene will draw back into the lineup after sitting against Latvia as the 14th forward. It’s also likely Patrice Bergeron will return to his natural center position after playing the wing this tournament (Tavares started today’s game centering Patrick Sharp and Rick Nash.)
Canadian head coach Mike Babcock has confirmed Tavares will miss the remainder of the tournament due to the injury.
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 10
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 57
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 168
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 55
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Spezza: ‘I’m just a piece to the puzzle’ in Dallas 32
- Ovechkin ‘upset’ at Grabovski departure, happy with defensive signings 18
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (168)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Giroux apologizes, calls actions a ‘misguided attempt at humor’ (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)