Feb 19, 2014, 2:47 PM EDT
Islanders captain and Team Canada forward is done for the remainder of the Winter Olympic tournament with a knee injury, according to sources of Newsday’s Arthur Staple.
Tavares, 23, was hurt during Canada’s 2-1 win over Latvia in the quarterfinals. He was hit near the boards by Latvian defenseman Arturs Kulda in the second period and looked to be in pain, immediately skating off while wincing in discomfort.
Tavares then left the bench and didn’t return for the remainder of the contest.
We’ll continue to monitor the situation but, if the injury is serious, it’s a significant blow for the Islanders, who are thoroughly reliant on their young star. Tavares earned his first-ever Hart Trophy nomination for league MVP last season and helped the Isles snap a six-year playoff drought in the process.
As for Team Canada, the injury report — if accurate — means Matt Duchene will draw back into the lineup after sitting against Latvia as the 14th forward. It’s also likely Patrice Bergeron will return to his natural center position after playing the wing this tournament (Tavares started today’s game centering Patrick Sharp and Rick Nash.)
Canadian head coach Mike Babcock has confirmed Tavares will miss the remainder of the tournament due to the injury.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 1
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 11
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 22
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 52
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)