Feb 19, 2014, 1:16 AM EDT
It appears Semyon Varlamov will be between the pipes for Russia against Finland in the quarter-final of the men’s Olympic hockey competition in Sochi.
Varlamov to start against Finland. Not really a surprise. If you are not a surprised kind of person generally.—
Slava Malamud (@SlavaMalamud) February 19, 2014
Varlamov will start for Russia—
Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) February 19, 2014
Varlamov’s last game came in the preliminary round – a 1-0 shutout victory in the shootout against Slovakia.
To this point in the tournament, Russia has alternated between Varlamov and Sergei Bobrovsky, who also recorded the shutout victory against underdog Norway in the qualification round.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 28
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)