Feb 19, 2014, 1:16 AM EDT
It appears Semyon Varlamov will be between the pipes for Russia against Finland in the quarter-final of the men’s Olympic hockey competition in Sochi.
Varlamov to start against Finland. Not really a surprise. If you are not a surprised kind of person generally.—
Slava Malamud (@SlavaMalamud) February 19, 2014
Varlamov will start for Russia—
Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) February 19, 2014
Varlamov’s last game came in the preliminary round – a 1-0 shutout victory in the shootout against Slovakia.
To this point in the tournament, Russia has alternated between Varlamov and Sergei Bobrovsky, who also recorded the shutout victory against underdog Norway in the qualification round.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 11
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 10
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 25
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 55
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)