Ovechkin: ‘It sucks. What else can I say?’

Feb 19, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT

SOCHI, RUSSIA - FEBRUARY 19: Alexander Ovechkin #8 of Russia looks on during the Men's Ice Hockey Quarterfinal Playoff against Finland on Day 12 of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics at Bolshoy Ice Dome on February 19, 2014 in Sochi, Russia. Getty Images

After Canada won the gold medal at home in the 2010 Winter Games, all the Russians wanted to do was replicate that level of success. They were faced with tremendous pressure, but it was matched by their desire, to the point where as far back as 2009, Alex Ovechkin was saying that he would play in Sochi even if the NHL decided not to participate in the games.

Well, he got to represent his country at home on the biggest international stage, but that’s as far as his dream played out. Russia struggled to gain any traction in the 2014 Olympics and were eliminated courtesy of a 3-1 loss to Finland in the quarterfinals.

“It sucks,” Ovechkin said, per NHL.com’s Corey Masisak. “What else can I say?”

It all started with such promise too. Ovechkin found the back of the net just 77 seconds into the tournament, but then went the next 308:43 minutes without a goal. Although, in his defense, he was hardly the only Russia forward to fail to live up to expectations. With his nation out of the Olympics, he was left to wonder why a team with so many top-tier scorers struggled to get anything going offensively.

VIDEO: Highlights from Finland’s 3-1 win

“I don’t know. That’s a big question,” Ovechkin admitted to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman. “It’s tough. It’s the second Olympic Games that we lost in that kind of game and it’s bad.

“Team fight, team play ’til the end and nobody gave up, but we didn’t score second goal and it was pretty hard.”

And perhaps worst of all for Ovechkin, this will be another point in the argument that he can’t lead a team to glory. Whether or not that sentiment has merit, the fact that he has failed to get a medal in the Olympics or lead Washington past the second round of the playoffs remains a black mark on what has otherwise been a tremendous career thus far.

The silver lining is that at the age of 28, Ovechkin will have other opportunities to win it all on a major stage, even if his chance to claim an Olympic gold at home that was on his mind for years has slipped by in the blink of an eye.

1. scoops1 - Feb 19, 2014 at 10:40 AM

No Ovie ….YOU Sucked!!!!!

• patthehockeyfan - Feb 19, 2014 at 11:03 AM

What an awful thing to write.

I can’t think of any other team or player where people would take such glee in their loss.

Look. I’m happy Russia lost, which I’m almost ashamed to admit. But, I certainly take no pleasure in how it impacts individual players.

Hating the Big Red Machine was brought on solely by that shirtless weirdo, Putin, in his quest to prove that Russia is superior in all ways. Maybe it’s for that reason that I’m glad the team lost.

But for Ovi, Datsyuk and Malkin? No. I feel bad for them. Ovi’s reputation preceded him, and the Finns and other teams knew how to crowd him. He’s an excellent scorer who had a bad Olympics.

As for Voynov, I’m halfway feeling bad and halfway saying to myself that hockey karma does get even. His remark about Quick’s intentionally knocking the net off its mooring … well, the hockey gods got even when Voynov misplayed a puck in the 2nd period that led to a Finland goal.

Now I’ve confessed. Not sure that I feel any better, though.

• pastabelly - Feb 19, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I’ll actually be happier if Canada loses. Many Canadians actually feel entitled to be the best in hockey and they prbably are a favorite. The USA may not be a huge underdog in the tournament, but a USA or Finland gold would make for a better story.

• patthehockeyfan - Feb 19, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I understand, pasta, and I’m not taking issue with your comments.

From my post above, you can tell that I consider individual team members rather than just a team.

I’m not conflicted between the U.S. and Canada; I’m rooting for the U.S. However, if Canada were to win, I’d be almost as happy. There are too many NHL players on both teams whom I like and respect.

You are right when you say that a USA or Finland gold would make for an unexpected, and therefore, better story.

• vm113 - Feb 19, 2014 at 12:14 PM

What an awful thing to write.—Are you serious? Ovie sucked so bad that me myself who is one of his biggest fans have jumped off his bandwagon. I will never look at him the same again. Absolutely gutless performance.

• badgerhockey77 - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Why on earth would you feel bad about Russia losing??? You should rejoice!

• lonespeed - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:52 PM

@badgerhockey77

Because Ovechkin is not a bad guy. Sure, he has holes in his game and he’s one-dimensional, but he’s still a gifted scorer and the captain of an American hockey team.

Just because he is Russian and appreciates his homeland shouldn’t be reason to hate. It’s simply bad form as patthehockeyfan has pointed out.

These guys have put on a great tournament and their skill should be appreciated. Sure, we wanted Finland to beat Russia today, but leave it at that. Show some class. Pointing out why Russia lost is fine. Pointing out that Ovechkin ‘sucked’ is juvenile.

• vm113 - Feb 19, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Pointing out why Russia lost is fine. Pointing out that Ovechkin ‘sucked’ is juvenile.—-Man, I’d love to live in your world. A place where everybody is smiling, kids are sliding on rainbows, unicorns are flying around signing carols. A place where nobody has to answer for their actions, and an A effort gets the same pat on the back as a F effort. A place with no consequences. Actually nah, Im a man I can handle it in the real world.

• lonespeed - Feb 19, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Maybe my real world is just better than yours?

• blomfeld - Feb 19, 2014 at 11:10 PM

IT SUCKS ?

You’d think that with an income of 10 million per year, the ‘least’ this moron could do is by himself a thesaurus ? … you know, like to expand upon his grasp of the English language so as to become ‘slightly’ more expressive ?

• patthehockeyfan - Feb 20, 2014 at 7:03 AM

Nice of you to post a family video, blom.

P.S. As to command of the English language, that’s an awful xenophobic remark.

P.P.S. Speaking of grasp of the English language, the word is ‘buy,’ as in ‘buy himself a thesaurus.’

Go ahead, everyone. Thumb this down. I don’t care anymore.

2. jpelle82 - Feb 19, 2014 at 10:47 AM

at least he can hang onto that great memory of the sound of the crowd roaring every time he carried the puck into the zone on home ice…should only haunt him for the rest of his life i would think….or at least until he quits the nhl and goes back to russia full time.

3. smarshall3789 - Feb 19, 2014 at 10:52 AM

That’s what you get for having a bunch of overrated one way players on your team. I’m so glad they lost they don’t deserve anything not one person other a one legged Pavel Datsyuk deserves anything

• stepanup - Feb 19, 2014 at 11:03 AM

I do feel bad for Pav. He deserves everything a hockey player can get.

• scoops1 - Feb 19, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Pav has always been one of my fav players….and it killed me to see him score 2 goals against the USA…

But…my country comes 1st….GO USA

• wingsdjy - Feb 19, 2014 at 12:24 PM

In a lot of ways, the USA-Russia matchup was perfect for American Datsyuk fans: we got to see him score 3 goals (2 regulation, 1 shootout) and the US win.

• smarshall3789 - Feb 19, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Pavel deserves everything this guy is a class act I live in the Detroit metro area and to watch Him the past decade or so has been amazing to watch I would of loved to see a Russia USA final just for him but he was the only 2 way forward they had but hopefully he will win a few more cups here before he retires to make up for it

4. 950003cups - Feb 19, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Oh well. A USA vs Russia final would’ve been a nice moment. Too bad we can’t see it.

5. lowenni - Feb 19, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Ovechkin cannot be the only one blamed here. The Russian coach completely misutilized him…just ask Dale Hunter what that does to Ovi’s performance. The coach put some no-name KHLer with him and Malkin (who should not have been on the same line to begin with, they always argue on their national teams and their playing styles don’t match), and failed to take a note from Adam Oates’ powerplay setup. As a Caps fan I agree Ovi is completely one-dimensional, but that one dimension he does have is shooting the puck. And you have to get him the puck to do that. He’s still young. His statistics speak for themselves. But he will be singled out for this performance for the rest of his career when really the entire team was dysfunctional.

• vm113 - Feb 19, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Only thing that deserves more blame is the coaching staff. They were nonexistent again. Other than that Ovi deserves all the blame in the world. He put on a gutless pathetic display of hockey. Oh so your trying to say playing with Malkin wasn’t enough? That a guy who is considered the best player in the KHL (Radulov) is the reason Ovie couldn’t do jack? What a ridiculously idiotic thing to say. Ovie showed his true self this Olympics. He shows that he is a horrible hockey player that just so happens to have the best shot in the world. Himself and the coaching staff is all to blame to this pathetic debacle.

• wingsdjy - Feb 19, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Radulov deserves a lot of blame. Lazy play in the USA match cost his team 2 goals.

• smarshall3789 - Feb 19, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Really the coach miss used him how do you miss use Ovi all he does is score goals he don’t play defense he doesn’t even come into his own zone so how can he be miss used how about Ovi becomes a better 2 way player cause for real I don’t want him on my team I can find goal scores that play defensive to for way cheaper Ovi is a joke he should bolt for the KHL I won’t miss him

6. therealjr - Feb 19, 2014 at 12:09 PM

“Team” quite simply is not as good as that from Sweden, Finland, Canada and the USA.

7. jb8588 - Feb 19, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Just typical Ovi…aka not a winner. It’s shown in both the NHL and the Olympics. He keeps chasing Sid…lol.

8. fivetozeroingame7 - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Here’s what you can say:

I SUCK.