Feb 19, 2014, 2:15 AM EDT
Patrick Kane would know what it’s like to compete for and win a Stanley Cup. Twice with the Chicago Blackhawks, he’s been a champion in the National Hockey League.
Olympic gold, well, that’s the hope this time around in Sochi. Kane is a member of the U.S. men’s Olympic hockey team. He was part of the squad in 2010 when it lost in heart-breaking fashion to the Canadians in overtime of the gold-medal game.
“You can’t compare them; it’s totally different,’’ said Kane, as per the Chicago Sun-Times.
‘‘But they’re both obviously very high competition and very high levels of hockey, so it’s fun to be a part of them both. . . . Now you’re here in the Olympics, so it seems like it’d be great to get the gold medal. But we have something special in Chicago, too.’’
There are only eight teams left in the competition, with the quarter-finals set to begin Wednesday morning.
There is a reality that NHL players may never again have the chance to compete at the Olympics, once this competition comes to an end on Sunday.
According to commissioner Gary Bettman, there will be no discussion on NHL participation in the 2018 Olympics while the league and its players are in Sochi.
“I don’t want to get into what the pros and cons are for participating. Everybody knows them, and they’ve been debated ad nauseam. We are here because we think it’s great to be here today at this tournament. What comes next we’ll all have to figure out, as we’ve done each of the other times that the NHL players have participated,” Bettman told reporters.
There have been notable injuries to NHL players during the tournament in Sochi. Most notably: Henrik Zetterberg, Sweden’s captain, who was expected to fly back to Detroit on Tuesday with a back injury that knocked him out of the competition. It doesn’t appear as if he’ll be ready to play for the Red Wings when their portion of the NHL schedule resumes on Feb. 26.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
It’s reportedly a two-way deal worth $600,000.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
The deal will reportedly pay him $4.1 million next season.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:08 PM EDT
His peak came in 2013-14: 19 goals, 51 points.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Perhaps Blue Jackets prospects can learn from his scrappy ways.
Jul 5, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Some depth for the Bolts.
Jul 5, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
He shared his story (and struggles) this past week.
Jul 5, 2015, 12:03 PM EDT
It may leave them in a “cap vise.”
Jul 5, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
That doesn’t guarantee that a hearing would take place, though.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
Brandon Dubinsky is the latest to pipe up.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
Vancouver started its development camp this weekend.
Jul 4, 2015, 10:10 PM EDT
His offensive totals were down, but was regularly used on penalty kill.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT
Spent most of the 2014-15 season in the OHL.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:10 PM EDT
They had agreed to terms last weekend.
Jul 4, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Played 37 games with Edmonton last season before getting sent back to the WHL.
Jul 4, 2015, 4:10 PM EDT
He signed with Pittsburgh on Wednesday.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Both received two-way deals.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
Will he make the 2015-16 Flyers?
Jul 4, 2015, 12:48 PM EDT
Washington’s AHL tandem has more NHL playing experience than Holtby and Grubauer.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
He usually gets at least one stint in the NHL per season.
Jul 4, 2015, 10:18 AM EDT
The two sides reportedly aren’t close to an agreement.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)