Feb 19, 2014, 2:15 AM EDT
Patrick Kane would know what it’s like to compete for and win a Stanley Cup. Twice with the Chicago Blackhawks, he’s been a champion in the National Hockey League.
Olympic gold, well, that’s the hope this time around in Sochi. Kane is a member of the U.S. men’s Olympic hockey team. He was part of the squad in 2010 when it lost in heart-breaking fashion to the Canadians in overtime of the gold-medal game.
“You can’t compare them; it’s totally different,’’ said Kane, as per the Chicago Sun-Times.
‘‘But they’re both obviously very high competition and very high levels of hockey, so it’s fun to be a part of them both. . . . Now you’re here in the Olympics, so it seems like it’d be great to get the gold medal. But we have something special in Chicago, too.’’
There are only eight teams left in the competition, with the quarter-finals set to begin Wednesday morning.
There is a reality that NHL players may never again have the chance to compete at the Olympics, once this competition comes to an end on Sunday.
According to commissioner Gary Bettman, there will be no discussion on NHL participation in the 2018 Olympics while the league and its players are in Sochi.
“I don’t want to get into what the pros and cons are for participating. Everybody knows them, and they’ve been debated ad nauseam. We are here because we think it’s great to be here today at this tournament. What comes next we’ll all have to figure out, as we’ve done each of the other times that the NHL players have participated,” Bettman told reporters.
There have been notable injuries to NHL players during the tournament in Sochi. Most notably: Henrik Zetterberg, Sweden’s captain, who was expected to fly back to Detroit on Tuesday with a back injury that knocked him out of the competition. It doesn’t appear as if he’ll be ready to play for the Red Wings when their portion of the NHL schedule resumes on Feb. 26.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 2
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)