Feb 19, 2014, 2:15 AM EST
Patrick Kane would know what it’s like to compete for and win a Stanley Cup. Twice with the Chicago Blackhawks, he’s been a champion in the National Hockey League.
Olympic gold, well, that’s the hope this time around in Sochi. Kane is a member of the U.S. men’s Olympic hockey team. He was part of the squad in 2010 when it lost in heart-breaking fashion to the Canadians in overtime of the gold-medal game.
“You can’t compare them; it’s totally different,’’ said Kane, as per the Chicago Sun-Times.
‘‘But they’re both obviously very high competition and very high levels of hockey, so it’s fun to be a part of them both. . . . Now you’re here in the Olympics, so it seems like it’d be great to get the gold medal. But we have something special in Chicago, too.’’
There are only eight teams left in the competition, with the quarter-finals set to begin Wednesday morning.
There is a reality that NHL players may never again have the chance to compete at the Olympics, once this competition comes to an end on Sunday.
According to commissioner Gary Bettman, there will be no discussion on NHL participation in the 2018 Olympics while the league and its players are in Sochi.
“I don’t want to get into what the pros and cons are for participating. Everybody knows them, and they’ve been debated ad nauseam. We are here because we think it’s great to be here today at this tournament. What comes next we’ll all have to figure out, as we’ve done each of the other times that the NHL players have participated,” Bettman told reporters.
There have been notable injuries to NHL players during the tournament in Sochi. Most notably: Henrik Zetterberg, Sweden’s captain, who was expected to fly back to Detroit on Tuesday with a back injury that knocked him out of the competition. It doesn’t appear as if he’ll be ready to play for the Red Wings when their portion of the NHL schedule resumes on Feb. 26.
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 52
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (159)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)