Feb 19, 2014, 4:03 AM EST
SOCHI, Russia — Martin St. Louis will draw in for Matt Duchene, P.K. Subban will be scratched again, and Carey Price will be in goal for Team Canada tonight at the Bolshoy Ice Dome when the defending gold medalists play their quarterfinal match against the heavy underdogs from Latvia.
One thing coach Mike Babcock will be hoping for? More power plays. Somewhat incredibly, Canada — which has been dominant possession-wise, if not always on the scoreboard, in its first three games — has only played with the man advantage four times, by far the fewest opportunities of any of the teams here.
“I’m a big believer that if you spend a lot of time in the offensive zone, you’ll go on the power play,” Babcock said after the morning skate. “That hasn’t happened, but over time – it’s just like some of our players haven’t scored; over time they’ll score – over time, we’ll get our power plays.”
Forward Patrick Marleau admitted the lack of power plays has caught him by surprise.
“There’s only been, what, four?” he said. “Maybe we can do a better job of sustaining pressure and wearing them down, so it forces the other team to take some more penalties. Little bit surprising, but that’s the hand we’re dealt, so we’re going to go after them tonight.”
Neither Babcock nor Marleau mentioned the officiating, which was a hot topic among the Canadians after the Finland game.
“Obviously it seemed like the whistles were put away for the most part,” said John Tavares.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:35 AM EST
Has appeared in five games with Chicago this season.
Nov 28, 2014, 12:15 AM EST
Forsberg scores the OT winner.
Nov 27, 2014, 10:50 PM EST
Shea Weber covered the puck in the crease.
Nov 27, 2014, 10:35 PM EST
Flyers play host to the Rangers Friday afternoon.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
Was a healthy scratch in nine games.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
X-rays on knee cap came back negative.
Nov 27, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Struggled in the American Hockey League this season.
Nov 27, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Expected to formally announce his retirement next Thursday morning.
Nov 27, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Talented center would be a prized pickup at the deadline.
Nov 27, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Patrick Roy doesn’t own part of a junior team anymore.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:41 PM EST
Incident occurred during Wednesday’s Jets-Sabres game.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Linden Vey gets back into the lineup for tomorrow’s game in Columbus.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:12 PM EST
Dallas forward has history as a repeat offender.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:03 PM EST
That’s a picture of Shawn Thornton, who doesn’t play for them anymore.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:59 PM EST
Just two goals in 20 games this year.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:16 PM EST
Devils currently sit 12th in the Eastern Conference.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:29 PM EST
Played in 14 games over parts of the last three seasons.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EST
Following Tuesday’s “mind-numbing” change in Dallas.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:02 PM EST
Big boost for Nashville, who hosts Edmonton tonight.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:44 AM EST
That’s the feeling, at least.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)