Feb 19, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
Latvia defeating Switzerland in the qualification round was a surprise, but certainly not an upset for the ages. If Latvia can somehow beat Canada today in its quarterfinal match, that would be a shocker of historic proportions.
The Latvians monumental uphill climb is even steeper now that forward Kaspars Daugavins has been ruled out due to an illness, according to the Canadian Press’ Stephen Whyno. Daugavins is one of the handful of Latvian players with NHL experience as he played in 91 games with the Ottawa Senators and Boston Bruins.
He has two assists in four games in this tournament.
Although there’s no denying that the Canadians are the overwhelming favorites in this match, it’s worth noting that Latvia has been a formidable opponent in this tournament. Led by Buffalo Sabres coach Ted Nolan, the team was able to make the Czechs and Swedes work hard for their wins.
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 0
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 5
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 9
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)