Feb 19, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT
There was good news for the Minnesota Wild on Wednesday, as players not competing in Sochi returned to practice.
As per the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, veteran forward Mikko Koivu was cleared to take part in the first skate back during this Olympic break in the schedule, after sitting out more than a month with a broken ankle that required surgery.
Koivu, 30, hasn’t played since Jan. 4 as a result of his injury, and was forced to miss the 2014 Olympics. He was playing some impressive hockey before the injury, with eight points in his last five games. Despite skating on Wednesday, there’s no word yet on when, exactly, he will return to the Wild lineup.
The Wild come out of the Olympic break on the road with a game against the Edmonton Oilers on Feb. 27.
“Two weeks ago I thought I’d be playing in the Olympics,” said Koivu, as per Pioneer Press, “so I don’t want to put any timetable on it. The best thing to do is just take it day by day.
“It’s the worst watching your team play and not being a part of it.”
Apr 18, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
They’re not intimidated by the Penguins.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:24 AM EDT
Three games will keep your Friday night occupied.
Apr 18, 2014, 2:27 AM EDT
But it’s one game.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:37 AM EDT
Apr 18, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT
Things got interesting in the third period.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:53 AM EDT
Apr 18, 2014, 12:46 AM EDT
Yeah, not a good night for him.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:46 AM EDT
This game may take a lot out of both teams.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:41 AM EDT
Colorado erases two-goal deficit to send it to extra time.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT
It at least seems like Jonathan Toews is shaking off bumps and bruises.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
That was fast.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
He had a big night.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:22 PM EDT
These teams don’t like each other.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:58 PM EDT
The Blues forward is usually the aggressor.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:47 PM EDT
Opting to go with Mike Brown instead.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
He’ll remember that one.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Battle of California.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT
Stating the obvious.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:58 PM EDT
Could this be a key one?
Apr 17, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
A cap hit of $7.5 million this season.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 10
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 23
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 12
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 55
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39