Feb 19, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Phil Kessel has been one of the NHL’s best players for a few years now. Since the start of 2011-12, he’s ranked third in the league in goals and second in points — yet often fails to get the credit and recognition that level of sustained success typically comes with.
The Olympics are changing that.
Kessel was hot going into this tournament and with the world paying attention, his speed and scoring touch have been on full display. He netted his tournament-tying fifth goal against the Czech Republic today and regained the Olympic lead in points with his eighth in four contests. That has everyone is singing his praises, including American captain Zach Parise.
“Phil’s playing great,” Parise said, per IIHF.com. “He was on fire in the NHL before he came here and he’s continued that in this tournament.
“He’s pushing their ‘D’ out on this big ice and it’s tough to deal with him.”
On Friday, the United States will face a Canadian team that is loaded with stars at forward…which makes this stat all the more impressive.
Phil Kessel has five goals now for the US. Canadian forwards by comparison have six combined.
— Jonas Siegel (@jonasTSN1050) February 19, 2014
For a guy that failed to produce much of anything for the Americans at the ’10 Olympics in Vancouver, that’s pretty good.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 112
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 80
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)