Feb 19, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Phil Kessel has been one of the NHL’s best players for a few years now. Since the start of 2011-12, he’s ranked third in the league in goals and second in points — yet often fails to get the credit and recognition that level of sustained success typically comes with.
The Olympics are changing that.
Kessel was hot going into this tournament and with the world paying attention, his speed and scoring touch have been on full display. He netted his tournament-tying fifth goal against the Czech Republic today and regained the Olympic lead in points with his eighth in four contests. That has everyone is singing his praises, including American captain Zach Parise.
“Phil’s playing great,” Parise said, per IIHF.com. “He was on fire in the NHL before he came here and he’s continued that in this tournament.
“He’s pushing their ‘D’ out on this big ice and it’s tough to deal with him.”
On Friday, the United States will face a Canadian team that is loaded with stars at forward…which makes this stat all the more impressive.
Phil Kessel has five goals now for the US. Canadian forwards by comparison have six combined.
— Jonas Siegel (@jonasTSN1050) February 19, 2014
For a guy that failed to produce much of anything for the Americans at the ’10 Olympics in Vancouver, that’s pretty good.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)