Feb 19, 2014, 7:02 AM EDT
Finnish goaltender Tuukka Rask and their current line combinations frustrated Team Canada and forced their round robin game to overtime. The Finns are hoping that they can do at least slightly better against Russia.
Rask will stay between the pipes for their quarterfinals match today and the lines that faced Canada will remain intact, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman. The only change is that Kari Lehtonen will serve as Rask’s understudy instead of Antti Niemi.
While Rask was able to hold his own against the Canadians, he got off to a rough start in the 2014 Winter Games by allowing four goals on 20 shots against Austria.
The Finns certainly have their work cut out for them when they take on the Russians at home, but Finland can take some comfort in its history of success against them. The Russians have not been able to defeat Finland in an Olympic game since 1998. In 2006, Finland beat Russia 4-0 in the semifinals and in 2002, Finland earned a 3-1 victory over the Russians in the round robin.
Jul 9, 2014, 9:41 PM EDT
Unlike what they did with Sean Monahan and Sven Baertschi.
Jul 9, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
Appeared in nine games for Boston last season.
Jul 9, 2014, 7:43 PM EDT
Pictured: Dale Tallon.
Jul 9, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
“We expect to have a decision by early next week.”
Jul 9, 2014, 5:49 PM EDT
Fairly significant pay cut for the former Wild winger.
Jul 9, 2014, 5:19 PM EDT
One-year, two-way deal for the ex-Jets goalie.
Jul 9, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
NHLPA released the dates today.
Jul 9, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
Big money for Martin Brodeur’s successor.
Jul 9, 2014, 3:23 PM EDT
Tomas Plekanec, Andrei Markov and Max Pacioretty also in the mix.
Jul 9, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Had that one great game against the Kings last season.
Jul 9, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
$10.5 million cap hits each.
Jul 9, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
He coached in Washington, right?
Jul 9, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
Still not clear how he hurt himself.
Jul 9, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Scored once with eight assists in his rookie season.
Jul 9, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT
Either trade him or kiss and make up.
Jul 9, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s been a hot topic recently.
Jul 9, 2014, 8:13 AM EDT
That’d be 21-year-old Ryo Hashimoto, who plays for the Oji Eagles of the Asia League
Jul 9, 2014, 1:02 AM EDT
The injury impacted his performance in the playoffs.
Jul 8, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
This time, it’s Colorado’s Conner Bleackley.
Jul 8, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT
GM Doug Wilson downplayed the injury as “minor.”
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 34
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 153
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 49
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 57
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 50
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Spezza: ‘I’m just a piece to the puzzle’ in Dallas 32
- Ovechkin ‘upset’ at Grabovski departure, happy with defensive signings 18
- Washington Capitals were free agency’s biggest spenders 15
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (164)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Giroux apologizes, calls actions a ‘misguided attempt at humor’ (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (58)