Feb 19, 2014, 7:40 AM EDT
The Czechs need all the help they can get when they take on the United States in the quarterfinals, so it should come as a relief to the squad that forward Patrik Elias is ready to return from an illness, according to the Chicago Sun-Times’ Mark Lazerus.
Elias missed the Czechs’ final round robin game against Switzerland and their qualification match against Slovakia as a result of the disease. Before that, Elias had an assist in two Olympic contests.
He’s another member of the old guard that was included on the Czech Republic’s roster, but he’s certainly still effective at the age of 37. He has scored 11 goals and registered 22 assists in 44 games with the New Jersey Devils this season.
The Czech Republic’s preliminary round showing left something to be desired and the team nearly coughed up a four-goal lead against Slovakia in the qualification round. On top of that, goaltender Ondrej Pavelec will have a very tough time holding his own against the Americans. At the same time, the Czechs have a considerable amount of NHL talent and plenty of Olympic experience to lean on, so they can’t be ruled out going into today’s match.
The quarterfinal match between the Czech Republic and United States will start at 12 p.m. ET and can be watched on the USA Network or watched online.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (59)