Feb 19, 2014, 7:40 AM EDT
The Czechs need all the help they can get when they take on the United States in the quarterfinals, so it should come as a relief to the squad that forward Patrik Elias is ready to return from an illness, according to the Chicago Sun-Times’ Mark Lazerus.
Elias missed the Czechs’ final round robin game against Switzerland and their qualification match against Slovakia as a result of the disease. Before that, Elias had an assist in two Olympic contests.
He’s another member of the old guard that was included on the Czech Republic’s roster, but he’s certainly still effective at the age of 37. He has scored 11 goals and registered 22 assists in 44 games with the New Jersey Devils this season.
The Czech Republic’s preliminary round showing left something to be desired and the team nearly coughed up a four-goal lead against Slovakia in the qualification round. On top of that, goaltender Ondrej Pavelec will have a very tough time holding his own against the Americans. At the same time, the Czechs have a considerable amount of NHL talent and plenty of Olympic experience to lean on, so they can’t be ruled out going into today’s match.
The quarterfinal match between the Czech Republic and United States will start at 12 p.m. ET and can be watched on the USA Network or watched online.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)