Feb 19, 2014, 1:17 PM EDT
Add Ondrej Pavelec to the list of goalies unable to stop the American offense.
Pavelec was hooked after allowing four goals on 11 shots in Wednesday’s quarterfinal, replaced by backup Alexander Salak with the U.S. holding a commanding 4-1 lead.
The Winnipeg ‘tender looked shaky throughout the contest and seemed to struggle mightily with lively end boards at the Shayba Arena. The Americans opened the scoring early when James van Riemsdyk tallied just 1:39 into the contest, and were up 3-1 at the end of the first period thanks to goals from Dustin Brown and David Backes — the latter coming with just two seconds left in the frame, as Backes took a shot that bounced off the dasher and put it past Pavelec.
Less than 10 minutes into the second period, U.S. captain Zach Parise scored his first goal of the Olympics — on the power play — as Pavelec was again fooled on a lively bounce off the end boards.
As mentioned above, Pavelec isn’t alone in his inability slow down the U.S. goalscorers this tournament. Slovakia’s Jaroslav Halak was also hooked during a 7-1 loss to the Americans in the opening game for both teams.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)