Feb 19, 2014, 1:17 PM EST
Add Ondrej Pavelec to the list of goalies unable to stop the American offense.
Pavelec was hooked after allowing four goals on 11 shots in Wednesday’s quarterfinal, replaced by backup Alexander Salak with the U.S. holding a commanding 4-1 lead.
The Winnipeg ‘tender looked shaky throughout the contest and seemed to struggle mightily with lively end boards at the Shayba Arena. The Americans opened the scoring early when James van Riemsdyk tallied just 1:39 into the contest, and were up 3-1 at the end of the first period thanks to goals from Dustin Brown and David Backes — the latter coming with just two seconds left in the frame, as Backes took a shot that bounced off the dasher and put it past Pavelec.
Less than 10 minutes into the second period, U.S. captain Zach Parise scored his first goal of the Olympics — on the power play — as Pavelec was again fooled on a lively bounce off the end boards.
As mentioned above, Pavelec isn’t alone in his inability slow down the U.S. goalscorers this tournament. Slovakia’s Jaroslav Halak was also hooked during a 7-1 loss to the Americans in the opening game for both teams.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)