Feb 18, 2014, 12:35 AM EDT
The Minnesota Wild have had their goaltending depth tested in a big way this season.
Niklas Backstrom and Josh Harding have had separate issues with their health and that’s meant Johan Gustafsson has gotten the call from AHL Iowa quite a bit. To help soften that blow, Michael Russo of The Star-Tribune reports the Wild signed minor leaguer, and former Boston University standout, John Curry to a two-way NHL deal.
Curry had been in Iowa on an AHL contract, but the team tore that up to make sure they can call on him at the NHL level should they need him. Iowa Wild coach Kurt Kleinendorst had sound reasoning for making sure Curry sticks around.
Coach KK said Gustafsson's trips up and down I-35 "not a healthy situation. Now, when they need a goalie, we keep our young guy here."—
Tom Witosky (@toskyAHLWild) February 17, 2014
The young guy he’s referring to is Darcy Kuemper who has also gotten his share of time in Minnesota. Curry, 29, provides Iowa with a veteran player who can handle the rigors of the AHL schedule while Gustafsson and Kuemper help out with the big club.
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 0
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 20
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 11
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)