Feb 18, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
Team USA and Nashville GM David Poile has undergone a third procedure for injuries suffered after taking a puck to the face prior to the Olympics, the Predators have announced.
Poile was struck by an errant Shea Weber pass during the Predators’ morning skate at Xcel Energy Center on Feb. 6, resulting in a fractured orbital bone and nose. He underwent a pair of surgeries in Minnesota — which ruled out traveling to Sochi — and has subsequently undergone a third procedure (eye-related) to allow for further evaluation of his injury.
“I know that I have a challenging road ahead, but am going to embrace the challenge and am eager to get back to work,” Poile said in a statement. “Thank you, in particular to the medical teams at Regions Hospital in St. Paul, Minn., and Vanderbilt Medical Center here in Nashville for the outstanding care and attention I have received and continue to receive. Thanks also to all those in Nashville and throughout the hockey community who have reached out to offer support and encouragement. It has been uplifting and most appreciated. I’m looking forward to watching USA’s quest for the Gold Medal in Sochi and the Predators resuming the playoff race.”
Poile, who is wearing a patch over his injured eye, has no timetable for recovery.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)