Feb 18, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
Team USA and Nashville GM David Poile has undergone a third procedure for injuries suffered after taking a puck to the face prior to the Olympics, the Predators have announced.
Poile was struck by an errant Shea Weber pass during the Predators’ morning skate at Xcel Energy Center on Feb. 6, resulting in a fractured orbital bone and nose. He underwent a pair of surgeries in Minnesota — which ruled out traveling to Sochi — and has subsequently undergone a third procedure (eye-related) to allow for further evaluation of his injury.
“I know that I have a challenging road ahead, but am going to embrace the challenge and am eager to get back to work,” Poile said in a statement. “Thank you, in particular to the medical teams at Regions Hospital in St. Paul, Minn., and Vanderbilt Medical Center here in Nashville for the outstanding care and attention I have received and continue to receive. Thanks also to all those in Nashville and throughout the hockey community who have reached out to offer support and encouragement. It has been uplifting and most appreciated. I’m looking forward to watching USA’s quest for the Gold Medal in Sochi and the Predators resuming the playoff race.”
Poile, who is wearing a patch over his injured eye, has no timetable for recovery.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)