Feb 18, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
Team USA and Nashville GM David Poile has undergone a third procedure for injuries suffered after taking a puck to the face prior to the Olympics, the Predators have announced.
Poile was struck by an errant Shea Weber pass during the Predators’ morning skate at Xcel Energy Center on Feb. 6, resulting in a fractured orbital bone and nose. He underwent a pair of surgeries in Minnesota — which ruled out traveling to Sochi — and has subsequently undergone a third procedure (eye-related) to allow for further evaluation of his injury.
“I know that I have a challenging road ahead, but am going to embrace the challenge and am eager to get back to work,” Poile said in a statement. “Thank you, in particular to the medical teams at Regions Hospital in St. Paul, Minn., and Vanderbilt Medical Center here in Nashville for the outstanding care and attention I have received and continue to receive. Thanks also to all those in Nashville and throughout the hockey community who have reached out to offer support and encouragement. It has been uplifting and most appreciated. I’m looking forward to watching USA’s quest for the Gold Medal in Sochi and the Predators resuming the playoff race.”
Poile, who is wearing a patch over his injured eye, has no timetable for recovery.
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 0
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 16
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 32
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 55
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)