Feb 18, 2014, 10:49 AM EST
Team USA and Nashville GM David Poile has undergone a third procedure for injuries suffered after taking a puck to the face prior to the Olympics, the Predators have announced.
Poile was struck by an errant Shea Weber pass during the Predators’ morning skate at Xcel Energy Center on Feb. 6, resulting in a fractured orbital bone and nose. He underwent a pair of surgeries in Minnesota — which ruled out traveling to Sochi — and has subsequently undergone a third procedure (eye-related) to allow for further evaluation of his injury.
“I know that I have a challenging road ahead, but am going to embrace the challenge and am eager to get back to work,” Poile said in a statement. “Thank you, in particular to the medical teams at Regions Hospital in St. Paul, Minn., and Vanderbilt Medical Center here in Nashville for the outstanding care and attention I have received and continue to receive. Thanks also to all those in Nashville and throughout the hockey community who have reached out to offer support and encouragement. It has been uplifting and most appreciated. I’m looking forward to watching USA’s quest for the Gold Medal in Sochi and the Predators resuming the playoff race.”
Poile, who is wearing a patch over his injured eye, has no timetable for recovery.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)