Feb 18, 2014, 2:27 AM EST
Russia has made its call in goal for the qualification playoff round.
Varlamov was thought to be the favorite to get the start after he put up a shutout against Slovakia and was outstanding in two starts during round-robin play. Bobrovsky’s lone start came against Team USA, a 3-2 shootout loss in which he stopped 31 shots. While he didn’t play poorly in that game, Varlamov appeared to play better.
Norway is the lowest seed in the tournament after the opening round at 12th overall. Russia was the top team to not get a bye after they finished the round with six standings points. The Russians head into Tuesday’s game (7:30 a.m. ET on NBCSN) as heavy favorites.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)