Feb 18, 2014, 2:27 AM EDT
Russia has made its call in goal for the qualification playoff round.
Varlamov was thought to be the favorite to get the start after he put up a shutout against Slovakia and was outstanding in two starts during round-robin play. Bobrovsky’s lone start came against Team USA, a 3-2 shootout loss in which he stopped 31 shots. While he didn’t play poorly in that game, Varlamov appeared to play better.
Norway is the lowest seed in the tournament after the opening round at 12th overall. Russia was the top team to not get a bye after they finished the round with six standings points. The Russians head into Tuesday’s game (7:30 a.m. ET on NBCSN) as heavy favorites.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 22
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 28
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)