Feb 18, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT
You might assume that the 2014 Winter Olympics have been a trying experience for the Red Wings. Detroit has dealt with more than its fair share of injuries so far this season and the Winter Games have arguably further complicated that.
Nevertheless, you can list Red Wings GM Ken Holland as one of the people supporting the NHL’s continued participation in the Olympics.
“My take is, it’s a great stage to showcase our players,” he told the Detroit Free Press. “The USA-Russia game drew tremendous numbers back in the U.S. It’s best on best.”
Meanwhile, the Red Wings are still waiting for captain Henrik Zetterberg to fly back to Detroit after he was shutdown due to a herniated disk. The next step is to find out if Zetterberg needs surgery and just how long he’ll be sidelined for.
Losing Zetterberg is a huge blow for Detroit, but Holland was quick to point out that Zetterberg’s back problems predate the Olympics and he doesn’t think this setback is related to the tournament.
“Whether in the Olympics or NHL, it probably would have been the same situation,” Holland argued.
Holland defended Datsyuk and pointed to former captain Steve Yzerman, who was sidelined in 2002 after playing through a knee injury in the Olympics, but returned to lead Detroit to a Stanley Cup championship that year.
“I think (Datsyuk’s) earned the right to make the decision based on how his body feels,” Holland said.
Detroit has a one-point edge in the Wild Card race with its streak of 22 consecutive postseason appearances on the line.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (83)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)