Feb 18, 2014, 9:27 AM EST
You might assume that the 2014 Winter Olympics have been a trying experience for the Red Wings. Detroit has dealt with more than its fair share of injuries so far this season and the Winter Games have arguably further complicated that.
Nevertheless, you can list Red Wings GM Ken Holland as one of the people supporting the NHL’s continued participation in the Olympics.
“My take is, it’s a great stage to showcase our players,” he told the Detroit Free Press. “The USA-Russia game drew tremendous numbers back in the U.S. It’s best on best.”
Meanwhile, the Red Wings are still waiting for captain Henrik Zetterberg to fly back to Detroit after he was shutdown due to a herniated disk. The next step is to find out if Zetterberg needs surgery and just how long he’ll be sidelined for.
Losing Zetterberg is a huge blow for Detroit, but Holland was quick to point out that Zetterberg’s back problems predate the Olympics and he doesn’t think this setback is related to the tournament.
“Whether in the Olympics or NHL, it probably would have been the same situation,” Holland argued.
Holland defended Datsyuk and pointed to former captain Steve Yzerman, who was sidelined in 2002 after playing through a knee injury in the Olympics, but returned to lead Detroit to a Stanley Cup championship that year.
“I think (Datsyuk’s) earned the right to make the decision based on how his body feels,” Holland said.
Detroit has a one-point edge in the Wild Card race with its streak of 22 consecutive postseason appearances on the line.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 13
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 37
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)