Feb 18, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT
You might assume that the 2014 Winter Olympics have been a trying experience for the Red Wings. Detroit has dealt with more than its fair share of injuries so far this season and the Winter Games have arguably further complicated that.
Nevertheless, you can list Red Wings GM Ken Holland as one of the people supporting the NHL’s continued participation in the Olympics.
“My take is, it’s a great stage to showcase our players,” he told the Detroit Free Press. “The USA-Russia game drew tremendous numbers back in the U.S. It’s best on best.”
Meanwhile, the Red Wings are still waiting for captain Henrik Zetterberg to fly back to Detroit after he was shutdown due to a herniated disk. The next step is to find out if Zetterberg needs surgery and just how long he’ll be sidelined for.
Losing Zetterberg is a huge blow for Detroit, but Holland was quick to point out that Zetterberg’s back problems predate the Olympics and he doesn’t think this setback is related to the tournament.
“Whether in the Olympics or NHL, it probably would have been the same situation,” Holland argued.
Holland defended Datsyuk and pointed to former captain Steve Yzerman, who was sidelined in 2002 after playing through a knee injury in the Olympics, but returned to lead Detroit to a Stanley Cup championship that year.
“I think (Datsyuk’s) earned the right to make the decision based on how his body feels,” Holland said.
Detroit has a one-point edge in the Wild Card race with its streak of 22 consecutive postseason appearances on the line.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 38
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 53
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 41
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 75
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 46
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 59
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)