Feb 18, 2014, 1:19 PM EDT
Mats Zuccarello couldn’t play in Norway’s 4-0 loss to Russia due to a hand injury. With that game ending his nation’s Olympic run, the question now is if he’ll be available when the New York Rangers resume their schedule on Feb. 27.
Unfortunately for the Rangers, they are still in the dark. They don’t know the extent of Zuccarello’s injury and that probably won’t change until the team starts practicing again on Thursday, according to the Bergen Record
If Zuccarello’s injury proves to be serious, it will have a significant impact on the Rangers’ plans going forward. He’s been a pleasant surprise this season with 15 goals and a team-leading 43 points in 58 games.
The team can’t really afford to lose the offense he’s been providing while they’re still competing for one of the fiercely contested playoff spots in the Eastern Conference. Consequently, Rangers GM Glen Sather might be motivated to acquire a top-six forward before the trade deadline if they will be without Zuccarello for an extended period of time.
Zuccarello has his left hand wrapped.
— Dan Rosen (@drosennhl) February 18, 2014
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 36
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63