Feb 18, 2014, 6:57 AM EDT
If the Norwegians end up pulling off a miracle win against Russia in today’s qualification round match, they will have to do it without a single NHL player on their lineup.
That’s because New York Rangers forward Mats Zuccarello has suffered a hand injury and will consequently not be available for the contest, according to Puck Daddy and TSN’s Dmitry Chesnokov. Zuccarello had struggled thus far with no points and a minus-two rating in three contests, but he remained Norway’s best hope when it came to challenging the Russians offensively.
It is not clear how serious Zuccarello’s hand injury is, but if he’s not available when the Olympic break is over, it will be a significant blow to the Rangers in their efforts to make the playoffs. Although he hasn’t had a good tournament, he’s been very effective with the Rangers this season, scoring 15 goals and 43 points in 58 games.
The winner of Norway versus Russia will play Finland in the quarterfinals.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 33
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 93
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)