Feb 18, 2014, 6:57 AM EDT
If the Norwegians end up pulling off a miracle win against Russia in today’s qualification round match, they will have to do it without a single NHL player on their lineup.
That’s because New York Rangers forward Mats Zuccarello has suffered a hand injury and will consequently not be available for the contest, according to Puck Daddy and TSN’s Dmitry Chesnokov. Zuccarello had struggled thus far with no points and a minus-two rating in three contests, but he remained Norway’s best hope when it came to challenging the Russians offensively.
It is not clear how serious Zuccarello’s hand injury is, but if he’s not available when the Olympic break is over, it will be a significant blow to the Rangers in their efforts to make the playoffs. Although he hasn’t had a good tournament, he’s been very effective with the Rangers this season, scoring 15 goals and 43 points in 58 games.
The winner of Norway versus Russia will play Finland in the quarterfinals.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (138)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)