Feb 18, 2014, 6:57 AM EST
If the Norwegians end up pulling off a miracle win against Russia in today’s qualification round match, they will have to do it without a single NHL player on their lineup.
That’s because New York Rangers forward Mats Zuccarello has suffered a hand injury and will consequently not be available for the contest, according to Puck Daddy and TSN’s Dmitry Chesnokov. Zuccarello had struggled thus far with no points and a minus-two rating in three contests, but he remained Norway’s best hope when it came to challenging the Russians offensively.
It is not clear how serious Zuccarello’s hand injury is, but if he’s not available when the Olympic break is over, it will be a significant blow to the Rangers in their efforts to make the playoffs. Although he hasn’t had a good tournament, he’s been very effective with the Rangers this season, scoring 15 goals and 43 points in 58 games.
The winner of Norway versus Russia will play Finland in the quarterfinals.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)