Feb 18, 2014, 6:57 AM EDT
If the Norwegians end up pulling off a miracle win against Russia in today’s qualification round match, they will have to do it without a single NHL player on their lineup.
That’s because New York Rangers forward Mats Zuccarello has suffered a hand injury and will consequently not be available for the contest, according to Puck Daddy and TSN’s Dmitry Chesnokov. Zuccarello had struggled thus far with no points and a minus-two rating in three contests, but he remained Norway’s best hope when it came to challenging the Russians offensively.
It is not clear how serious Zuccarello’s hand injury is, but if he’s not available when the Olympic break is over, it will be a significant blow to the Rangers in their efforts to make the playoffs. Although he hasn’t had a good tournament, he’s been very effective with the Rangers this season, scoring 15 goals and 43 points in 58 games.
The winner of Norway versus Russia will play Finland in the quarterfinals.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)