Feb 18, 2014, 6:57 AM EDT
If the Norwegians end up pulling off a miracle win against Russia in today’s qualification round match, they will have to do it without a single NHL player on their lineup.
That’s because New York Rangers forward Mats Zuccarello has suffered a hand injury and will consequently not be available for the contest, according to Puck Daddy and TSN’s Dmitry Chesnokov. Zuccarello had struggled thus far with no points and a minus-two rating in three contests, but he remained Norway’s best hope when it came to challenging the Russians offensively.
It is not clear how serious Zuccarello’s hand injury is, but if he’s not available when the Olympic break is over, it will be a significant blow to the Rangers in their efforts to make the playoffs. Although he hasn’t had a good tournament, he’s been very effective with the Rangers this season, scoring 15 goals and 43 points in 58 games.
The winner of Norway versus Russia will play Finland in the quarterfinals.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)