Feb 18, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Mike Babcock isn’t too worried about a lack of production from Canada’s supposed top line, which includes Sidney Crosby, held without a goal through three preliminary games in Sochi.
Canada will play Latvia in the quarter-final on Wednesday. It’s Latvia’s first ever trip to this stage in the Olympic tournament, while the Canadian team has fallen under criticism for its play through the first three games, despite a trio of wins and outscoring the opposition a combined 11-2. Canada’s forwards have scored only five of those.
“The first line has generated a ton of scoring chances, point-blankers,” Babcock said, as per the Associated Press.
“They haven’t gone in. Do we worry that much about that, or do we just know good players score in the end? Lots of times in the Stanley Cup playoffs, your team goes a ways and your best players have no points in the first round. Someone else picks them up.
“But by the time it’s all over, they’re leading the thing in scoring. It’s not about that. It’s about finding a way to be the best team.”
Mar 17, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Ottawa’s nine points out with 15 games to play.
Mar 17, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
He’s had issues all season long.
Mar 17, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT
Boston has won eight straight games.
Mar 17, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start the day.
Mar 16, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
Also an update on the East.
Mar 16, 2014, 10:11 PM EDT
Mar 16, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Winnipeg takes early advantage over Dallas Stars.
Mar 16, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
At least Buffalo isn’t in a playoff chase.
Mar 16, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT
Did Carl Hagelin score? Judge for yourself.
Mar 16, 2014, 7:26 PM EDT
Also included: video of Kevin Bieksa’s impressive “save.”
Mar 16, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
The rivalry relocated.
Mar 16, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Tough loss for a player on a hot streak.
Mar 16, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
It will begin 1-0, but with a full 60-minute game.
Mar 16, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Washington gets two key points in regulation.
Mar 16, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Good timing considering Chicago’s recent stumbles.
Mar 16, 2014, 5:13 PM EDT
Yep, he’s ridiculous.
Mar 16, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT
He sustained the lower-body injury earlier this week.
Mar 16, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
Pittsburgh just lost back-to-back contests to Philadelphia.
Mar 16, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
Wayne Simmonds had two goals and an assist to reach the 50-point milestone.
Mar 16, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Robin Lehner will play between the pipes instead.
- Playoff race update: Jets smash Stars, muddy West picture 9
- Rangers foiled by Sharks’ Niemi, controversial no-goal 21
- Blues’ Tarasenko will undergo hand surgery, out at least six weeks 7
- Help’s on the way: Letang, Bennett cleared for practices 9
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 4
- NHL on NBC: Penguins and Flyers resume rivalry as playoff race continues 7
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 18
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 3
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)