Feb 18, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Mike Babcock isn’t too worried about a lack of production from Canada’s supposed top line, which includes Sidney Crosby, held without a goal through three preliminary games in Sochi.
Canada will play Latvia in the quarter-final on Wednesday. It’s Latvia’s first ever trip to this stage in the Olympic tournament, while the Canadian team has fallen under criticism for its play through the first three games, despite a trio of wins and outscoring the opposition a combined 11-2. Canada’s forwards have scored only five of those.
“The first line has generated a ton of scoring chances, point-blankers,” Babcock said, as per the Associated Press.
“They haven’t gone in. Do we worry that much about that, or do we just know good players score in the end? Lots of times in the Stanley Cup playoffs, your team goes a ways and your best players have no points in the first round. Someone else picks them up.
“But by the time it’s all over, they’re leading the thing in scoring. It’s not about that. It’s about finding a way to be the best team.”
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)