Feb 18, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Mike Babcock isn’t too worried about a lack of production from Canada’s supposed top line, which includes Sidney Crosby, held without a goal through three preliminary games in Sochi.
Canada will play Latvia in the quarter-final on Wednesday. It’s Latvia’s first ever trip to this stage in the Olympic tournament, while the Canadian team has fallen under criticism for its play through the first three games, despite a trio of wins and outscoring the opposition a combined 11-2. Canada’s forwards have scored only five of those.
“The first line has generated a ton of scoring chances, point-blankers,” Babcock said, as per the Associated Press.
“They haven’t gone in. Do we worry that much about that, or do we just know good players score in the end? Lots of times in the Stanley Cup playoffs, your team goes a ways and your best players have no points in the first round. Someone else picks them up.
“But by the time it’s all over, they’re leading the thing in scoring. It’s not about that. It’s about finding a way to be the best team.”
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 0
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 3
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 57
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (60)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)