Feb 18, 2014, 7:33 AM EST
Before the Olympic tournament started, Canada coach Mike Babcock warned that “it’s so easy to be stuck on the outside on the big ice and think you are doing something because you are standing in your zone.”
He asserted that in order to score, the Canadians would need to take the middle of the ice, and their narrow 2-1 victory against Finland on Sunday only reinforced that point. If they can’t start claiming that premium space, then opposing nations will continue to frustrate them, despite their edge when it comes to skilled forwards.
“We have to find a way to get to the dirty areas and find a way to get some basic goals,” Benn continued, per the Olympic News Service.
“Puck movement,” Kunitz told PHT’s Jason Brough. “Speed away from the puck. Driving lanes. Capitalizing on those one-on-one battles. As soon as you beat your guy, you’ve got to make sure you’re moving the puck, or moving your feet to get to an area.”
Canada will play against the winner of Switzerland versus Latvia in the quarterfinals. The Swiss in particular are a superb defensive team and they would be a big test for the Canadians.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 49
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 76
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (76)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)