Feb 18, 2014, 7:33 AM EST
Before the Olympic tournament started, Canada coach Mike Babcock warned that “it’s so easy to be stuck on the outside on the big ice and think you are doing something because you are standing in your zone.”
He asserted that in order to score, the Canadians would need to take the middle of the ice, and their narrow 2-1 victory against Finland on Sunday only reinforced that point. If they can’t start claiming that premium space, then opposing nations will continue to frustrate them, despite their edge when it comes to skilled forwards.
“We have to find a way to get to the dirty areas and find a way to get some basic goals,” Benn continued, per the Olympic News Service.
“Puck movement,” Kunitz told PHT’s Jason Brough. “Speed away from the puck. Driving lanes. Capitalizing on those one-on-one battles. As soon as you beat your guy, you’ve got to make sure you’re moving the puck, or moving your feet to get to an area.”
Canada will play against the winner of Switzerland versus Latvia in the quarterfinals. The Swiss in particular are a superb defensive team and they would be a big test for the Canadians.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 83
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (83)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)