Feb 18, 2014, 7:33 AM EDT
Before the Olympic tournament started, Canada coach Mike Babcock warned that “it’s so easy to be stuck on the outside on the big ice and think you are doing something because you are standing in your zone.”
He asserted that in order to score, the Canadians would need to take the middle of the ice, and their narrow 2-1 victory against Finland on Sunday only reinforced that point. If they can’t start claiming that premium space, then opposing nations will continue to frustrate them, despite their edge when it comes to skilled forwards.
“We have to find a way to get to the dirty areas and find a way to get some basic goals,” Benn continued, per the Olympic News Service.
“Puck movement,” Kunitz told PHT’s Jason Brough. “Speed away from the puck. Driving lanes. Capitalizing on those one-on-one battles. As soon as you beat your guy, you’ve got to make sure you’re moving the puck, or moving your feet to get to an area.”
Canada will play against the winner of Switzerland versus Latvia in the quarterfinals. The Swiss in particular are a superb defensive team and they would be a big test for the Canadians.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 4
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 10
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 6
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 27
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)