Feb 17, 2014, 1:30 AM EDT
According to the Detroit Free Press, Sweden’s captain, who early on Saturday morning was ruled out of the Sochi Olympics with a back injury, could fly back on Tuesday.
“He wants to get home, go see a doctor, figure out what’s next,” Red Wings general manager Ken Holland told the Detroit Free Press.
Holland has already made it clear that Zetterberg will not be ready to return to Detroit’s lineup when the Red Wings’ schedule resumes on on Feb. 26 against the Montreal Canadiens.
Sweden finished as the top team in the preliminary round and has advanced right through to the quarter-final. The Swedes will play either Slovenia or Austria for a berth in the semifinal round. Advancing to the final-four round would guarantee them the chance of at least playing for a medal.
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 5
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 9
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2