Feb 17, 2014, 1:30 AM EDT
According to the Detroit Free Press, Sweden’s captain, who early on Saturday morning was ruled out of the Sochi Olympics with a back injury, could fly back on Tuesday.
“He wants to get home, go see a doctor, figure out what’s next,” Red Wings general manager Ken Holland told the Detroit Free Press.
Holland has already made it clear that Zetterberg will not be ready to return to Detroit’s lineup when the Red Wings’ schedule resumes on on Feb. 26 against the Montreal Canadiens.
Sweden finished as the top team in the preliminary round and has advanced right through to the quarter-final. The Swedes will play either Slovenia or Austria for a berth in the semifinal round. Advancing to the final-four round would guarantee them the chance of at least playing for a medal.
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 11
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47