Feb 17, 2014, 12:34 PM EDT
Online sportsbook Bovada has released a series of props prior to the start of the Olympic hockey playoff round and, unsurprisingly, a pair of American names have rocketed up the MVP list.
Phil Kessel, the tournament’s leading scorer, sits even with Sidney Crosby (11/2) as the favorite to win most valuable player. The odds illustrate what a dominant tournament Kessel’s had thus far — on Feb. 5, Bovada released a similar set of pre-tournament MVP odds in which the Toronto winger was listed at 30/1.
As for the other American moving up the list, Olympic hero T.J. Oshie comes in at 15/1 after failing to crack the initial list. Oshie skyrocketed to fame thanks to his four goals in a dramatic win over Russia on Saturday, and now has the same odds as Finnish goalie Tuukka Rask to win tournament MVP.
Here’s the full odds list, per Bovada:
Phil Kessel (USA) 11/2
Sidney Crosby (CAN) 11/2
Pavel Datsyuk (RUS) 13/2
Drew Doughty (CAN) 15/2
Alex Ovechkin (RUS) 8/1
Jonathan Quick (USA) 10/1
Carey Price (CAN) 10/1
Henrik Lundqvist (SWE) 10/1
Erik Karlsson (SWE) 12/1
Semyon Varlamov (RUS) 12/1
T.J. Oshie (USA) 15/1
Tuukka Rask (FIN) 15/1
John Tavares (CAN) 20/1
James van Riemsdyk (USA) 15/1
Jonas Hiller (SUI) 25/1
Ondrej Pavelec (CZE) 40/1
Tomas Plekanec (CZE) 50/1
Olli Jokinen (FIN) 50/1
And here are the updated gold medal odds:
Czech Republic 25/1
Finally, Bovada’s also released a series of props for the tournament’s leading goalscorer. The current leader, Michael Grabner, is at 5/4, followed by Kessel (7/4), Doughty (13/2), Jeff Carter (8/1), Ovechkin (9/1), Evgeni Malkin (11/1), Karlsson (12/1), Crosby (20/1), Joe Pavelski (30/1) and Ryan Getzlaf (30/1).
Oct 30, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
Nice feed to Kunitz
Oct 30, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Two big boys land some pretty good shots.
Oct 30, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
Abdominal injury hits the center once again.
Oct 30, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
Adds depth as Toronto travels to Columbus.
Oct 30, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT
“I don’t know too many people who jump into the league at 19 (years old) and are playing 22 minutes a night, it just doesn’t really happen.”
Oct 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Sophomore winger inching closer to a return.
Oct 30, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
We debate — Buffalo or Carolina?
Oct 30, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Played just 5:46 Tuesday in Calgary.
Oct 30, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
All the news and notes from around the crease…
Oct 30, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Which is important, because good defensive teams win Stanley Cups.
Oct 30, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
For the EIHL’s Belfast Giants.
Oct 30, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Just one point in his last five games.
Oct 30, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
Click for video proof.
Oct 30, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT
St. Louis’ health woes continue.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:52 PM EDT
“So we need to get better or things are going to change around here probably sooner rather than later.”
Oct 30, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
We should find out after tonight’s game.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT
Winnipeg’s won three of its last four.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
He appeared in 36 games last year.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
If you’re curious what a buyout would cost the Wings, click on the post.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Wild still suffering from Monday’s loss to the Rangers.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 3
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 23
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)