Feb 17, 2014, 12:34 PM EDT
Online sportsbook Bovada has released a series of props prior to the start of the Olympic hockey playoff round and, unsurprisingly, a pair of American names have rocketed up the MVP list.
Phil Kessel, the tournament’s leading scorer, sits even with Sidney Crosby (11/2) as the favorite to win most valuable player. The odds illustrate what a dominant tournament Kessel’s had thus far — on Feb. 5, Bovada released a similar set of pre-tournament MVP odds in which the Toronto winger was listed at 30/1.
As for the other American moving up the list, Olympic hero T.J. Oshie comes in at 15/1 after failing to crack the initial list. Oshie skyrocketed to fame thanks to his four goals in a dramatic win over Russia on Saturday, and now has the same odds as Finnish goalie Tuukka Rask to win tournament MVP.
Here’s the full odds list, per Bovada:
Phil Kessel (USA) 11/2
Sidney Crosby (CAN) 11/2
Pavel Datsyuk (RUS) 13/2
Drew Doughty (CAN) 15/2
Alex Ovechkin (RUS) 8/1
Jonathan Quick (USA) 10/1
Carey Price (CAN) 10/1
Henrik Lundqvist (SWE) 10/1
Erik Karlsson (SWE) 12/1
Semyon Varlamov (RUS) 12/1
T.J. Oshie (USA) 15/1
Tuukka Rask (FIN) 15/1
John Tavares (CAN) 20/1
James van Riemsdyk (USA) 15/1
Jonas Hiller (SUI) 25/1
Ondrej Pavelec (CZE) 40/1
Tomas Plekanec (CZE) 50/1
Olli Jokinen (FIN) 50/1
And here are the updated gold medal odds:
Czech Republic 25/1
Finally, Bovada’s also released a series of props for the tournament’s leading goalscorer. The current leader, Michael Grabner, is at 5/4, followed by Kessel (7/4), Doughty (13/2), Jeff Carter (8/1), Ovechkin (9/1), Evgeni Malkin (11/1), Karlsson (12/1), Crosby (20/1), Joe Pavelski (30/1) and Ryan Getzlaf (30/1).
Jul 29, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Low-risk signing, with good potential upside.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
“When you do have a little more responsibility, you want to take your lunch pail and get ready to work.”
Jul 29, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
Had 13 goals and eight assists in 2013-14, his rookie season in the NHL.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
IIHF Disciplinary Board levies punishment for “very forceful check.”
Jul 29, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Was traded from Toronto on July 1.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
New Caps coach wants “people who are really good at distributing the puck and making things happen from the middle of the ice.”
Jul 29, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Had 11 goals and seven assists in 53 games last season.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Expected to be healthy for training camp.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Can become an unrestricted free agent next summer now.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They won the Stanley Cup together in Tampa Bay.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Both were part of Dallas’ 1999 championship.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT
He was recently hired by the team to serve as an assistant general manager.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
That won’t be easy given the Bruins’ current logjam.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
He might still end up playing in Russia.
Jul 28, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
He attempted to make the transition to North America in 2013-14.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
The two sides are unlikely to agree to terms quickly though.
Jul 28, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Yashin and Bure are among the players that will compete against Los Angeles.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
“I was told there’s a definite opportunity.”
Jul 28, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
Former Anaheim forward posted a career high in points last year.
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 0
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 19
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 11
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)