Feb 17, 2014, 7:56 AM EDT
The United States’ men’s hockey team has captured the nation’s attention with its superb play in the preliminary round. That combined with America’s silver medal finish in 2010 has set the bar high for this tournament.
Team USA is eager to meet those high expectations.
“I like a lot of what I’ve seen of the way this team’s come together. You can see it in how we’ve adjusted to the big ice, forechecking better, defending smarter, using our speed. It feels good.”
You could make the case that the Americans looked came out of the round robin looking better than any other team. Russia, which lost to the United States and followed that up with a shaky performance against Slovakia that ended in a shootout win. Canada swept its Group, but still needs to find its groove offensively. Meanwhile, the Swedes had the most dominant showing of any team thus far, but their offense is looking a lot less intimidating without Henrik Sedin, Johan Franzen, and Henrik Zetterberg.
Of course, how a team looks right now has to be taken with a grain of salt. After all, the Canadians didn’t look great in the preliminary round during the 2010 tournament and they still ended up winning gold.
That doesn’t mean America’s success to this point was meaningless though. They’ve gained confidence and displayed team chemistry. Those are invaluable traits going forward.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 20
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 23
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)