Feb 17, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
The availability of Ilya Kovalchuk has been a question mark going into Russia’s qualification game against Norway on Tuesday.
Kovalchuk sustained an injury in the second period of Sunday’s contest against Slovakia, but he managed to return before the conclusion of the contest and found the back of the net during the shootout.
Adding to the concern though was the fact that Kovalchuk missed Monday’s practice. After the skate, Russia head coach Zinetula Bilyaletdinov attempted to put those fears to rest by specifying that Kovalchuk was held out for precautionary reasons. He went on to say that the 30-year-old forward will be in the lineup against Norway, according to Puck Daddy and TSN’s Dmitry Chesnokov.
It’s not clear what will happen to the Russian lines if that changes. Viktor Tikhonov took Kovalchuk’s place on a line with Pavel Datsyuk and Alexander Radulov, but it’s likely that Tikhonov was just keeping the spot warm given that he also filled in on the top power-play unit. The Russians haven’t used Tikhonov yet in the 2014 Olympics.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 30
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)