Feb 17, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Slovakia’s uphill match against the Czech Republic on Tuesday just got a little more daunting. After being hit in the head by Slovenian defenseman Sabahudin Kovacevic, Tomas Kopecky will miss the rest of the 2014 Winter Games, according to the Associated Press.
Kovacevic served a one-game suspension for his actions.
A Slovak team spokesman simply called it an upper-body injury, but obviously if Kopecky has a concussion, then it’s possible that he won’t be available when the Florida Panthers resume their schedule on Feb. 27.
This tournament couldn’t have gone much worse for the Panthers. They only sent two players to the games, and the other one, 18-year-old forward Aleksander Barkov, will reportedly miss the next four-to-six weeks due to a knee injury. With around eight weeks left in their regular season schedule and without any hope of making the playoffs, Florida might simply shutdown Barkov for the rest of the season.
We’ll have to wait for more details before we’ll know if Kopecky is in danger of suffering a similar fate.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)