Feb 17, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Slovakia’s uphill match against the Czech Republic on Tuesday just got a little more daunting. After being hit in the head by Slovenian defenseman Sabahudin Kovacevic, Tomas Kopecky will miss the rest of the 2014 Winter Games, according to the Associated Press.
Kovacevic served a one-game suspension for his actions.
A Slovak team spokesman simply called it an upper-body injury, but obviously if Kopecky has a concussion, then it’s possible that he won’t be available when the Florida Panthers resume their schedule on Feb. 27.
This tournament couldn’t have gone much worse for the Panthers. They only sent two players to the games, and the other one, 18-year-old forward Aleksander Barkov, will reportedly miss the next four-to-six weeks due to a knee injury. With around eight weeks left in their regular season schedule and without any hope of making the playoffs, Florida might simply shutdown Barkov for the rest of the season.
We’ll have to wait for more details before we’ll know if Kopecky is in danger of suffering a similar fate.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)