Feb 17, 2014, 10:41 AM EDT
After netting just two goals in regulation over their last two contests, it looks like the Russians will be trying out some new combinations when they play Norway on Tuesday.
Alexander Semin was knocked off the top line during Monday’s practice, allowing Alexander Popov to skate alongside Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin instead, according to Puck Daddy and TSN’s Dmitry Chesnokov.
Popov, 33, has spent his entire career playing in Russia. He had 14 goals and 32 points in 46 games with the KHL’s Omsk Avangard in 2013-14.
The line of Semin, Ovechkin, and Malkin certainly looked dangerous on paper, but they didn’t live up to expectations for very long. The trio hasn’t scored since combining for two goals in the first four minutes of Russia’s tournament opener against Slovenia.
Naturally these lines have to be taken with a grain of salt, not just because they were used during an off-day practice, but also because Ilya Kovalchuk is dealing with an ailment. Russia head coach Zinetula Bilyaletdinov said Kovalchuk will play on Tuesday, but the 30-year-old missed Monday’s skate and Viktor Tikhonov consequently kept his spot warm. If Kovalchuk can’t play tomorrow, then Bilyaletdinov might significantly restructure his lines rather than let Tikhonov make his Olympic debut on the second unit.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 10
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 13
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 24
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)