Feb 17, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils prospect defenseman Adam Larsson has had a rough season. He’s played 20 games for New Jersey and has been playing for the minor league affiliate in Albany since Jan. 9.
So what’s wrong with the 21-year-old 2011 fourth overall pick? Randy Miller from The Star-Ledger shares the story.
“I think Adam’s his own worst enemy sometimes,” Albany coach Rick Kowalsky said. “He wants to be an impact, and sometimes he wants to make an impact every shift. He doesn’t have to make a play that leads to a scoring chance. Sometimes he’s got to make the simple play, and he’s done that at times, but he has a tendency to get away from it.”
Larsson admits he’s trying hard but he wants to make it with the Devils and not somewhere else. He’s in the final year of his entry-level deal and not exactly in line for a big raise.
Defensemen are always a bit slower to develop, but after his rookie season in which he played 65 games and had a taste of success during the playoffs, expectations shot through the roof. For now, he’ll continue to work on his game in Albany while other young defensemen join the battle to stick in the NHL.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 0
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 7
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 77
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 33
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)