Feb 17, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils prospect defenseman Adam Larsson has had a rough season. He’s played 20 games for New Jersey and has been playing for the minor league affiliate in Albany since Jan. 9.
So what’s wrong with the 21-year-old 2011 fourth overall pick? Randy Miller from The Star-Ledger shares the story.
“I think Adam’s his own worst enemy sometimes,” Albany coach Rick Kowalsky said. “He wants to be an impact, and sometimes he wants to make an impact every shift. He doesn’t have to make a play that leads to a scoring chance. Sometimes he’s got to make the simple play, and he’s done that at times, but he has a tendency to get away from it.”
Larsson admits he’s trying hard but he wants to make it with the Devils and not somewhere else. He’s in the final year of his entry-level deal and not exactly in line for a big raise.
Defensemen are always a bit slower to develop, but after his rookie season in which he played 65 games and had a taste of success during the playoffs, expectations shot through the roof. For now, he’ll continue to work on his game in Albany while other young defensemen join the battle to stick in the NHL.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 7
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 6
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 23
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 38
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (38)