Feb 17, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils prospect defenseman Adam Larsson has had a rough season. He’s played 20 games for New Jersey and has been playing for the minor league affiliate in Albany since Jan. 9.
So what’s wrong with the 21-year-old 2011 fourth overall pick? Randy Miller from The Star-Ledger shares the story.
“I think Adam’s his own worst enemy sometimes,” Albany coach Rick Kowalsky said. “He wants to be an impact, and sometimes he wants to make an impact every shift. He doesn’t have to make a play that leads to a scoring chance. Sometimes he’s got to make the simple play, and he’s done that at times, but he has a tendency to get away from it.”
Larsson admits he’s trying hard but he wants to make it with the Devils and not somewhere else. He’s in the final year of his entry-level deal and not exactly in line for a big raise.
Defensemen are always a bit slower to develop, but after his rookie season in which he played 65 games and had a taste of success during the playoffs, expectations shot through the roof. For now, he’ll continue to work on his game in Albany while other young defensemen join the battle to stick in the NHL.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 55
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 3
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)