Feb 16, 2014, 6:48 AM EDT
It was a stunning performance, but it didn’t come out of nowhere. Oshie has historically been superb in shootouts. That’s one of the reasons he made the team in the first place. In fact, there’s not many in the game that can hold a candle to Oshie in that regard, but Chicago Blackhawks captain and Team Canada forward Jonathan Toews is one of them.
He’s one of the few people that can claim to have done something similar to Oshie as Toews scored three shootout goals in as many attempts in the 2007 World Junior Championship semifinals. Of course, there’s a big difference in the level of attention, pressure, and talent between the Junior tournament and the Olympics.
But is also Toews the best Canada’s got. He’s the best almost anyone in this tournament has. Among active skaters that have taken at least 30 career NHL shootout attempts, Toews ranks second with a 50% success rate. Naturally Oshie is first at 54.5%.
So if a Team Canada game gets to that point, there’s a fair chance Canada will attempt to ride out Toews. So can he do what Oshie did at this level?
“It’s scary to think about, but who knows?” Toews said, according to the Chicago Sun-Times’ Mark Lazerus. “I’ll be ready for whatever.”
Who knows, he might even be asked to compete in a shootout duel with Oshie before this is done.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)